Pvc Pipe Structures

Decorating By 11cupcakes Updated 5 Apr 2010 , 12:17am by glendaleAZ

11cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
11cupcakes Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 2:55am
post #1 of 9

What do you use to cover pvc pipe structures. I watched on TV that some cover metal pipes with electric tape, is it food safe?

8 replies
glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 4:07am
post #2 of 9

For my last cake I used plastic PVC pipe that's food safe. I got it from Home Depot and then washed it up with dish washing soap.

As far as I know they dont make a food safe tape.

lngo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lngo Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 4:46am
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11cupcakes

What do you use to cover pvc pipe structures. I watched on TV that some cover metal pipes with electric tape, is it food safe?

I saw this on Amazing Wedding Cakes. The cake designer covered the pipe with tape THEN covered the tape with modeling chocolate.

11cupcakes Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 8:41pm
post #4 of 9

thanks, I also heard you can use some kind of paint on plastic pvc pipes. Of coarse I can't remember what kind of paint, does anyone know about it?

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 8:54pm
post #5 of 9

I know Cal Java has premade structures out of pvc that I believe Bronwen Weber puts out. Their really expensive so I dont know if its because their food grade or not.

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 10:56pm
post #6 of 9

Why does it need to be covered? All the water pipes in my house are PVC, so that is food safe right? Or is there some type of coating on the inside to make it food safe?

On the Satin Ice website in the tutorials there are a couple of bakers that use PVC to roll out fondant.

Just wondering...

Susan

TJCanadian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJCanadian Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 11:23pm
post #7 of 9

PVC pipes are food safe if cleaned as long as no glue is used to connect the joints. I always cover the PVC pipe with modeling chocolate because fondant doesn't stick to it well. If you use screws to make the joints solid, then cover them with cling wrap, etc.

11cupcakes Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 12:14am
post #8 of 9

I agree it is a water pipe and is food safe, but it has some information printed on it, it also stored in some dusty areas. Of course I would wash it , but I worry about some customers that would prefer it covered. Just ask about your experience to avoid complaints.

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 12:17am
post #9 of 9

When I connected PVC pipes on my last cake, I used Christy's Red Hot Blue Glue, PVC Pipe Cement. The Home Depot guy said it was the same glue used to connect water pipes together in our homes, so it would have to be food safe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%