Please Help With Bow Making Question

Decorating By shannycakers Updated 6 Apr 2010 , 2:15pm by TexasSugar

shannycakers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannycakers Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 2:28am
post #1 of 16

Hello cc gang! i recently made my second cake topper bow, with some trouble both times. how do you all glue your loops together, piece by piece before you put it on cake or straight on cake? AND I tried using royal icing but i had to use so muh of it to stick, that you can see through the loops the white icing! I also tried chocolate melts..how do some bows look so nice and clean with nothing showing... How do you all make the loops stick wihtout bigs glops? PLease help!!

15 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 2:39am
post #2 of 16

I would do it straight on the cake...then you can glue down the first layer with royal icing and you don't need too much...when you add the next layers, you are actually somewhat propping them up on the layer beneath so they are held in place, if you stack them right, while the royal icing dries.

Just takes practice...good luck!

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 2:40am
post #3 of 16

Go here and click on.... Mercedes Strachwsky Elegant Bow....

http://www.rolledfondant.com/how.htm

hth

shannycakers Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 2:45am
post #4 of 16

thank you for that info but i was talking about the bows that contain like 25 loops or so that stack on each other icon_smile.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 2:49am
post #5 of 16

the tutorial for the bow you want is on this site. and also on cakeboss.com

Jaimelt76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaimelt76 Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 3:03am
post #6 of 16

I have only made a couple of bows like you are talking about and I follow the instructions in the confetti cake book. I have tried the method with royal icing and could not get it to work for me.
In the confetti cake book they show how to put a wire in each bow, I use a toothpick, and let them dry. When you are ready you take a ball of fondant and place on the cake and then start placing your bow pieces in place. HTH

ZoesMum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZoesMum Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 1:19am
post #7 of 16

Hello there! I have only made a couple, but I made them in a small foil container rather than on that cake itself. I put a circle of fondant/gumpaste in the bottom of the container, then built the bow up from there using royal icing that was coloured to match the bow. I used a fairly generous amount of royal icing, which was why it being the same colour as the bow really helped! Then I let it dry for at least a couple of days, then test each loop to make sure they were all in there really well, and then turn it upside down and viola...finished bow! HTH...

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 3:02am
post #8 of 16

I also build mine in a bowl a little larger than the bow itself. I use candy melts to glue mine together. (make sure it is never out in direct sun if you do use them though!)

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 3:15pm
post #9 of 16

I make mine on a piece of wax paper on my turn table. I also use candy melts, colored to closely match the bow color so it blends in and doesn't stand out as much.

I have tried royal but found that I'm to impatient to wait to long between adding the rows and my bottom rows shifted because the royal had not set yet.

shannycakers Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 4:17pm
post #10 of 16

thank you all so much! i will be trying both of these methods icon_smile.gif

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 4:35pm
post #11 of 16

Use Wilton (or any other brand) candy melts works much better than Royal Icing. If you color the candy melts and use Wilton colors or Americolor you need to add Flo Coat to the melted pieces or it will seize up.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 4:36pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannycakers

thank you for that info but i was talking about the bows that contain like 25 loops or so that stack on each other icon_smile.gif

hth

look at her other tutorial... she makes the loops for the big bow also...

shannycakers Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 4:37pm
post #13 of 16

im sorry but what is flo coat?

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 1:22am
post #14 of 16

Flo-coat is a food coloring agent that allows "water-based" gel paste colors to be added to "fat-soluble" ingredients, such as cocoa butter, white chocolate and coating chocolates.

The usage ratio is 5 parts of Flo-Coat to 1 part Soft-Gel Paste.
Blend together Flo-Coat with a "water-based" food color, then add to melted chocolate or cocoa butter.

KATHIESKREATIONS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATHIESKREATIONS Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 1:51pm
post #15 of 16

Thanks. Peridot! I never heard of Flo-Coat. icon_surprised.gif I thought you always had to use the powered colors for coloring candy melts. I am going to have to get the Flo-Coat for sure...then I can use any color I want. Who knew? LOL Thanks again. thumbs_up.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 2:15pm
post #16 of 16

Americolor makes it. You can also just buy some of their candy colors to match the regular colors.

I've used Flo-Coat a few times, it came out okay to me, just takes alot of it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%