Extreme Cakes - What Are They Spraying?

Decorating By ginger6361 Updated 5 Apr 2010 , 6:03pm by ginger6361

ginger6361 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ginger6361 Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 2:23am
post #1 of 14

When watching the chocalate decorating shows, I always see them spraying something on the chocolate to set it. Can anyone tell me what that spray can is? Also, any tutorials on molding RKT? Thanks

13 replies
HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 2:36am
post #2 of 14

They are probably using cocoa butter.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 2:41am
post #3 of 14

I think what you're referring to might be the cans of instant freeze. Not sure what it's called or what's actually in the can, but when they spray two pieces that they want to stick together, I believe that's what it is.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 3:02am
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowCoolGomo1

They are probably using cocoa butter.

No, not cocoa butter--that would just create a runny mess.

It's a food grade freeze spray that hardens the chocolate rapidly.

http://shopchefrubber.com/product.php?productid=12976&cat=0&page=1

Rae

ginger6361 Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 3:08am
post #5 of 14

BlakesCakes
thanks!! that is just what I was looking for!!

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 3:53am
post #6 of 14

Thanks...
I wanted to know how to spray colored chocolate.

BecuzImAGurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BecuzImAGurl Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 5:53am
post #7 of 14

well...you can buy a can off those...my goodness whats the name??? if someone know what I'm talking about...it's what you spray your keyboards with to get dust off...you can find it around office supply isles or stores...it blasts air out if you hold it up-right...I found out if you spray upside down it shoots a really freezing air out that freezes, for example, chocolate which sets it immediately...I used that for my chocolate showpiece/sculpture.

It's way cheaper than that can of Magic Freeze Spray which was like $14.99 and I dont know how much is shipping...where as you can buy a can of that dust blaster for a few bucks...No offense to that poster who let us know that other great product out there...I think the other spray is better since it's listed as "food safe" but I've been using the cheaper alternative so I'm writing this only to give another option...=)

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 6:25am
post #8 of 14

Canned air. When I tilt it too far, I get frost on my keyboard. It's in with computer stuff. Walmart carries it.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 6:39am
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

Canned air. When I tilt it too far, I get frost on my keyboard. It's in with computer stuff. Walmart carries it.

If you use this i dont' suggest eating the chocolate. As this is not food safe and has chemicals that get blown out with the air.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 6:05pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

If you use this i dont' suggest eating the chocolate. As this is not food safe and has chemicals that get blown out with the air.

Ditto about not using it for anything that MIGHT OR WILL BE EATEN--I use cheaper stuff for showpieces, too.

It's just important that people also know where to find the food safe items--and when to use them.

Rae

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 7:27pm
post #11 of 14

on those shows... the masterpieces they do are for show only so they can use it freely... but when it's going to be sonsumed you need to make sure it's food grade... hth

JenniferAtwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferAtwood Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 12:27am
post #12 of 14

Not only is it not food grade, but it is bitter. I used it once on some chocolate for a party trick for my daughters birthday. She spit it out, so I tried it. yuck. Read the can.....it says they but chemicals in it to be bitter to prevent huffing (i think that is what they call it) inhaling it to get high. This is why cheaper is not always better.

BecuzImAGurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BecuzImAGurl Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 1:53am
post #13 of 14

lol...i swore I said its another option and that the other product should be preferred because it's 'food-safe"...I didnt say you have to use it, I said I used a cheaper alternative and for other people to use the food-safe one instead.

i also said I use it on showpieces...I mean if a chocolate is going to be out in the open for display, I wont want to eat it afterward.

I meant no harm.

ginger6361 Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 6:03pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BecuzImAGurl

lol...i swore I said its another option and that the other product should be preferred because it's 'food-safe"...I didnt say you have to use it, I said I used a cheaper alternative and for other people to use the food-safe one instead.

i also said I use it on showpieces...I mean if a chocolate is going to be out in the open for display, I wont want to eat it afterward.

I meant no harm.

we know you didn't...np..thanks for all the info...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%