Gumpaste Bootie Problem

Decorating By kmdrysdale Updated 7 Apr 2010 , 10:18am by emrldsky

kmdrysdale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmdrysdale Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 2:03am
post #1 of 12

I am making a baby shower cake next weekend, Just got back from the city shopping for this cake a realize i forgot the tylose powder for the edible glue, Is there anything i can do? I will look in my small town but it is very unlikely to have any, Also where would i find Tylose powder??

I need to make a set of baby booties what can i do????

11 replies
sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 2:26am
post #2 of 12

water will work fine as glue. icon_smile.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 6:42am
post #3 of 12

You can also dissolve a tiny bit of gumpaste (like a pea-sized amount, or less) in a tiny dish of water to make an edible glue. I used to do that exclusively, til I bought the tylose.

Chances are you would only find tylose at a cake or restaurant supply store (and then only if they have a large selection of cake supplies) - otherwise you will likely need to order it online. If you are already using gumpaste though, you don't need tylose as water (per Sharon) or dissolved gp (as I just mentioned) work just fine. My first two years' worth of cakes were made without owning any tylose.

kmdrysdale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmdrysdale Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 11:38am
post #4 of 12

I was wondering if i could just use water, going to give it a try tonight. Thanks for such a fast reply

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 12:04pm
post #5 of 12

I just posted a pair of baby sneakers glued entirely with water.

nhbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nhbaker Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 12:19pm
post #6 of 12

I saw or read somewhere (can't remember but think it was one of many cake shows!) they use a mixture of a meringue powder & water. I've used this before and it seem to work well. I've used just water too and that works fine.

Brendabeeper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendabeeper Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 1:08pm
post #7 of 12

I just did my first baby shower cake and was nervous on making the baby booties. I used water only also worked fine. LOVED the booties. MANY THANKS AND HUGS to those who shared the patterns here on CC. The shower cake was a hit. Cake in photo. The pink bear turned out ok, but I wish it was better. Best wishes on your booties, they were fun, easy and soooooo cute

Cucu1214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cucu1214 Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 7:18pm
post #8 of 12

I have a question regarding the booties, I just made my first booties, turned out fine but the color on the gumpaste faded out! wanted to die!! what can I do, it was my first time using tylose powder on fondant, so I must have done something wrong!! any info will be greatly appreciated!!

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 8:03pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cucu1214

I have a question regarding the booties, I just made my first booties, turned out fine but the color on the gumpaste faded out! wanted to die!! what can I do, it was my first time using tylose powder on fondant, so I must have done something wrong!! any info will be greatly appreciated!!

Were your booties in light? The best thing to do to prevent this in the future is to place them in a box and keep them out of light (sunlight or fluorescent light can cause fading).

Cucu1214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cucu1214 Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 4:41am
post #10 of 12

yes they were, not exactly in front of the window, but the morning sun does hit there pretty hard!! so now I know for the next time!! thank you for the info, appreciate it!!!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 5:39am
post #11 of 12

Ooh yeah. I made a little gumpaste figure once, and set it near the window but indirect sunlight as you did. The pink faded to white within TWO HOURS! icon_eek.gif! Learned that lesson pretty fast icon_rolleyes.gif.

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 10:18am
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cucu1214

yes they were, not exactly in front of the window, but the morning sun does hit there pretty hard!! so now I know for the next time!! thank you for the info, appreciate it!!!

You're welcome. icon_smile.gif My Wilton instructor warned us that light could do that, even if it's not direct. I've always kept my gumpaste and fondant decorations in a box to keep them from fading.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%