How Much Buttercream Should I Make For 150 Cupcakes?

Baking By Roxybc Updated 5 Apr 2010 , 6:13pm by robyndmy

Roxybc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Roxybc Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 1:47am
post #1 of 8

I don't use a recipe for my buttercream, I just mix butter, milk, vanilla and icing sugar until it tastes just right. But I do this when I make smaller batches of cupcakes. Now that I'm making a large order, I plan on making the buttercream ahead of time, so wondering if someone could recommend how much in either finished weight or number of cups of butter, or pounds of icing sugar, etc you think it would take to ice 150 cupcakes.

Thanks in advance!

7 replies
Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 4:07pm
post #2 of 8

I usually allow for 1/3 cup per cc with a generous swirl of frosting so you'd be looking at 50 cups, or 12.5 quarts - a lot!

You do use a LOT more frosting per cc than per serving of cake.

robyndmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robyndmy Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 4:40pm
post #3 of 8

When I use the 1M tip to get the rose look (so not heaping icing at all), it will usually take 1 cup of butter, a few splashes of milk, and about 3-4 cups of icing sugar to decorate 2 dozen cupcakes. So for 150 cuppies, roughly 6-7 cups of butter to start?

I'd imagine that if you piping from the outside in though to get the nice high swirl of, it would take considerably more buttercream than that.

bridge72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bridge72 Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 6:57pm
post #4 of 8

I made 69 cuppies a couple of months ago and I ended up using 2 batches of IMBC. (decorated with a 1M tip) So I would suggest at least 3-4 batches. HTH

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 7:23pm
post #5 of 8

good info.... icon_smile.gif

Roxybc Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 11:08am
post #6 of 8

Great, thanks for the info ladies. I've got 7 packages of butter softening on the table at the moment. I'm planning on makig it today (monday) and keeping it in an 8 litre protein bucket in a cool room. Will it be alright until Thursday? Will an 8 litre bucket be large enough?

Roxybc Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 5:57pm
post #7 of 8

So just in case anyone is wondering, 6 250gr (approx 9 oz) blocks of butter, approx 11 pounds of icing sugar, not a whole lot of milk, 1.5 small bottles of vanilla, 1 entire bottle of Wilton Teal coloring, and about 1/4 bottle of Wilton blue coloring gave me approx 6 litres = 11 pounds of buttercreme icing!!! I hope that's enough for 150 cuppies!!!

robyndmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robyndmy Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 6:13pm
post #8 of 8

Ooh, do keep us updated! And pictures too, I love teal anything icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%