Gray Fondant?

Decorating By prismperfect Updated 4 Apr 2010 , 1:04pm by Price

prismperfect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prismperfect Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 1:23am
post #1 of 6

I'm sure this has been covered before but I did a search and couldn't find an answer that would help me icon_smile.gif

I'm trying to make gray fondant. I tried adding some Black Satin Ice fondant that I have, to white fondant, and it made lavender. Tried using the wilton gel color, I'm getting purple/lavender again.

I recall encountering the same problem when making gray royal icing awhile back, the Wilton Black gel only turns purple for me! (See the 2nd pic under my photos, the one with the blue flowers, the purple parts were supposed to be gray. Any ideas on how to just get a solid gray?

Thx guys! Working on a cake for a local high school's musical they're putting on, my first paid gig, so excited!

5 replies
redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 2:29am
post #2 of 6

The only thing that has worked for me was to use Americolor Super Black in white fondant. (I've made several elephants, one for a Seussical the Musical cake and a couple for baby showers, so I'm glad they were gray, not purple or green, as I have seen with Wilton black coloring.)

One thing that is important is to let the fondant sit for a while for the color to fully develop.

If you can't get the Americolor gel, all may not be hopeless. I think somebody mentioned that you can look on a color wheel to see what is opposite the color your fondant is (e.g., purple or green) and add that color (the one opposite) to make black. I think that, for purple, you would add yellow, but I'm not sure on that.

suzied Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzied Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 12:34pm
post #3 of 6

When ever i wanted black fondant i ended up with grey!! Thats by adding black (wilton) paste to WHITE fondant. Try it

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 12:53pm
post #4 of 6

Chefmaster in black... that always works for me....

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 1:00pm
post #5 of 6

You could try adding a little bit of blue to it, that might tone down the purple. Also, do you have any white? That might help.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 1:04pm
post #6 of 6

I just made grey yesterday, used a tiny, tiny bit of Satin Ice black and added to Satin Ice white, It came out fine. I have also made grey but putting a small drop of super black Americolor to white Satin Ice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%