Strongest Edible Medium?

Decorating By Rylan Updated 6 Apr 2010 , 1:37pm by TexasSugar

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 1:05am
post #1 of 24

What is the strongest edible medium out there? I want to make a bookshelf (2 ft tall) that will stand and and hold some gumpaste figures. I'm thinking of pastillage but I'm not sure how strong and stable it would be. I'm planning on rolling this 1/2 inch thick. Any suggestions?

23 replies
milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 1:20am
post #2 of 24

At the risk of showing my ignorance of pastillage, (I haven't tried it yet, but plan to), could you roll two thin sheets together with very small dowels inserted in between the two? I'm thinking of my dad who was a civil engineer and used rebar reinforced concrete! Fun to think about, but I hope someone can give you more practical information. Good luck to you.

Rylan Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 1:25am
post #3 of 24

Milkmaid42, I was thinking of that. I was also thinking of just using thin wooden panel boards and covering then in gumpaste. The only problem is I wanted everything to be edible--without non edible supports on the shelf. Is it possible to achieve?

Love your avatar by the way!

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 1:56am
post #4 of 24

Some people use uncooked spaghetti to connect gumpaste or fondant figures, could the same principle apply here if you used lasagne sheets? Though I can't really imagine, being flat, that it would offer much support. If turned on its side=tooooo thick! Goodness, here I offer a suggestion with one hand and eviscerate it with the other! My mind is empty now.
By the way, I loved that cow. Raised her from a calf and she gave me 10 gallons of good, fresh, hormone-free milk a day! Cheese making was a necessity, even with 4 teenage boys!

Rylan Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 3:09am
post #5 of 24

Hmmm, I was looking for something very solid--not sure if the pasta is stable enough but I'll see.

Wow, 10 gallons a day? I didn't realize a cow can produce that much milk. You must enjoy living there! What a wonderful place.

Rylan Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 3:12am
post #6 of 24

Hmmm, I was looking for something very solid--not sure if the pasta is stable enough but I'll see.

Wow, 10 gallons a day? I didn't realize a cow can produce that much milk. You must enjoy living there! What a wonderful place.

dstbni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dstbni Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 3:17am
post #7 of 24

Maybe fettuccini noodles sideways? Like corrugated cardboard.

cuteums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuteums Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 3:28am
post #8 of 24

what about using something like twizzlers? Let them stay out so they get a bit hard and cover them?

Or maybe a crazy idea - cheese?? A really hard cheese, that wasn't too smelly.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 5:15am
post #9 of 24

You want a stronger medieum than pastillage? Not sure if that's what you were asking but an fyi... I was given a gelatin paste recipe and this is supposed to be super strong paste to make things like walls, or bookcase.... maybe I didn't get the ? right lol... but just in case...
hth

Rylan Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 8:08am
post #10 of 24

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

Yes Natalie, that is what I needed. I was looking for a stronger medium than pastillage. Something as strong as wood.

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 8:24am
post #11 of 24

Hi Ry!!!!!!

Is it something you could make by making it out of a hard candy recipe?

2 cups granulated sugar
2/3 cup light corn syrup
3/4 cup water
1 tsp. (1 dram) Lorann Flavoring (or as desired)
1/4 tsp. coloring
cooking to Hard-crack stage (Hard candy) 295o to 310o F

It would be strong like a jolly rancher candy.

Rylan Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 9:50am
post #12 of 24

Hi Jaime! I miss you my beautiful buddy!

Thanks for the recipe! I might use that in the future so I gotta save it. I was hoping to achieve a wood finish and I'm afraid I cannot do that using the recipe you posted. I was going to make a big piece--orginally it was 2 feet tall but I'm now thinking of 2.5 feet.

This is a sample so you all have a clear vision (I'll add some backing): http://www.countryliving.com/cm/countryliving/images/wooden-shelf-cabin-htours0506-de.jpg

newbaker55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newbaker55 Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 10:47am
post #13 of 24

I'm new at all this, but, why wouldn't just a really firm gumpaste and a wood grain mat do the trick? I added a bunch of karaya powder to plain old Wilton fondant (just playin' around & not following the directions for ' a sprinkle of powder on the fondant') and got a rock-hard result! Technically, it's edible, just not palatable. icon_smile.gif BTW, Rylan....your cakes ROCK!! icon_eek.gif

Rylan Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 10:50am
post #14 of 24

Thanks newbaker55!

I was thinking of that but I was afraid that it might break easily. Do you think it will be stable enough once there are lots of gumpaste accents sitting on the shelf? I'm worried, hehe.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 10:57am
post #15 of 24

Hi Ry:

I think you should try the gelatin paste.... Check your PM.... icon_smile.gif

newbaker55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newbaker55 Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 12:04pm
post #16 of 24

Rylan, there are many more experienced folks here on CC, but I guess it would depend upon the weight of the pieces you intend to use. You might be able to lighten up the load by hollowing some of your figures. Just a thought. You might want to try a test plank, thoroughly dried and supported on a couple books or something. Add some weight to it and see how it works for you. Good luck with whatever you decide...can't wait to see what you come up with. I know it will be AWESOME icon_smile.gif

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 4:48pm
post #17 of 24

I'm not sure if this will complement the style of the bookcase you have in mind, but you could use one or two of those "L" shaped supports under the shelf, made out of pastillage, to give it more stability.

Rylan Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 12:18am
post #18 of 24

Dalis, I will try your suggestion.

Newbaker, will do so. The test plank is a great idea!

GlendaleAZ, that is a smart idea! Will definitely do that.

Thanks again everyone!

Lelka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lelka Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 1:20am
post #19 of 24

I would say pastillage but indeed you will have to try the size and the dimensions. It is strong but also fragile when suspended. I made this Eiffel tower with pastilage and it took quite a bit of abuse before breaking from my 3 year old.
LL

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 7:53am
post #20 of 24

I miss you too Ry!

where have you been?

I have faith in you , I think you can do it with either gumpaste or pastillage. I think if you leave it kinda thick but make sure it has plenty of time to dry it will be good.

I may be in need of some idea advice from you, my daughter has set her wedding date and we are in the early stages of planning , iys still ayear away so I have plenty of time. She has kinda picked the cake she likes but I think it needs to be bigger and better! Hers is going to have to be my best creation hahahhaah.

Rylan Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 10:45am
post #21 of 24

Lelka, I'm speechless, that is amazing. The precision and execution are beyond imaginable. THAT is AWESOME! What did you use as glue? It looks very clean!

Jaime, I've been busy for a while. I'll definitely make sure I let it dry for weeks. Can't believe your daughter is getting married! Wow! I'm definitely sure you will do an awesome job! You are fabulous my friend.

Lelka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lelka Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 3:40pm
post #22 of 24

Thank you Rylan, I used very stiff royal to glue it together, layer by layer. And then stacked it up. It traveled in 3 pieces and was assembled on location. You can play around with the thickness of it to determent what works the best. The lesson I've learned was that the top should be a bit lighter then the support, thats why as it goes up I rolled it a bit thinner than the bottom layers.

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 4:11am
post #23 of 24

Wondering if you could combine a couple of ideas... the hard candy sandwiched between two sheets of pastillage/gumpaste/fondant. The hard candy for the strength & support, the p/g/f for the ability to make it look like woodgrain.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 1:37pm
post #24 of 24

Pastillage is what they use on the challenges for parts of the chocolate and sugar pieces. I'm thinking it will probably be one of the stronger items you can use.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%