Using Impression Mats

Decorating By kanwal Updated 5 Apr 2010 , 4:41pm by kanwal

kanwal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kanwal Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 12:55am
post #1 of 4

How do you role out fondant on an impressional mat and get the pattern to look crisp and clean on your fondant? I bought the paisley impression mat and everytime I have used it I can not role the fondant out in one role over the whole impression mat. I have to put lots of pressure on the rolling pin to get any type of pattern and sometimes I have to role over it two or three times. The result is the pattern looks burly on the fondant. Is my fondant too dry? Does the fondant need to be softer. Can anyone please share your tips. TIA

3 replies
cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 1:05am
post #2 of 4

Are you rolling out the fondant ON the impression mat? It seems as though that's what you're saying...

With the thinner plastic impression mats, the directions say to spray with non-stick Pam - that worked really well for me. I roll out the fondant then put the impression mat on top. Then I roll my large roller once one way then back the other way. It gives perfect impression. With the Wilton (thicker) impression mats, I found that I don't have to spray first. You shouldn't have to put that much pressure on it.

Some people use the mat once it's on the cake, but that doesn't work well for me... Still, your fondant may be to dry. If you're using MMF, you can try a thin coat of crisco over the fondant. HTH! icon_smile.gif

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 1:07am
post #3 of 4

it sounds to me like you are putting the impression mat down and then rolling the fondant over it, which seems very hard!

i roll out my fondant first, then put the impression mat on top of the fondant. then i use my big roller to roll over the mat a few times til i get the desired look. my sure to pam your mat to avoid sticking.

HTH

kanwal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kanwal Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 4:41pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the tips. I was rolling out the fondant on top of the mat. I'll try it the other way around with the mat on the top.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%