Stale Baking Powder?

Decorating By lilscakes Updated 4 Apr 2010 , 5:02am by Lita829

lilscakes Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 10:49pm
post #1 of 4

Can anyone tell me if baking powder can go stale after awhile and lose its' "rising" ability? Someone asked me that question and although I'm tempted to say yes, thought I would ask the experts here on CC. Is there any way of determining if the BP is good prior to using it? Thanks in advance!

3 replies
tesso Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 11:06pm
post #2 of 4

yes it does go stale. I found this out the hard way. There should be an experation date on the bottom of the can. I was making bread..or hard flat bricks icon_biggrin.gif when I found out it can go stale.

prterrell Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 4:41am
post #3 of 4

Every can of baking powder has an expiration date on it. Don't use it if the date has past. Make sure you always keep it in a sealed container in a cool, dry place.

Lita829 Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 5:02am
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilscakes

Can anyone tell me if baking powder can go stale after awhile and lose its' "rising" ability? Someone asked me that question and although I'm tempted to say yes, thought I would ask the experts here on CC. Is there any way of determining if the BP is good prior to using it? Thanks in advance!

Yup..it sure can go stale. If there is no date on the bottom of the can, you can pour some the baking powder in a glass of lukewarm water. If it fizzles...then its still good.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%