Help With Crusting Buttercream!

Baking By yummy_in_my_tummy Updated 9 Apr 2010 , 3:13am by yummy_in_my_tummy

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 4:48pm
post #1 of 9

HELP!

I just made my first batch ever of Crusting Buttercream. I usually use butter and powdered sugar, but the recipe that I found called for 1 stick of butter, 1 1/2 C Vegetable Shortning and 2 lbs powdered sugar (plus water, extract, etc).

I followed the recipes to a T and it tastes fine, but leaves a film on the roof of my mouth! I think it's because of the Crisco - I was supposed to use Crisco right??

Is that normal? What did I do wrong?

Thanks Everyone!

8 replies
KellJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellJ Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 5:34pm
post #2 of 9

I have no idea....I use butter and crisco in my buttercream but I don't use water, I use either milk, whipping cream or coffee creamer.

Sorry I can't help.....

iamelms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamelms Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 5:46pm
post #3 of 9

I don't think you did anything wrong. Crisco is the right thing to use! Some buttercream recipes do kind of linger in your mouth, unfortunately...

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 10:56pm
post #4 of 9

I think maybe because you used water instead of milk? Water and oil don't mix. I used water in a receipe for icing once and kind of had the same results.

sweetcakesbyjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakesbyjen Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 11:12pm
post #5 of 9

When I first started making icing, I used water and didn't like it. But now, I always use whole milk, and I think it comes out soooo much better. HTH! icon_smile.gif

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 11:33pm
post #6 of 9

I always use milk or creamer to thin my frosting. It's kinda my thing about using water in cooking. Unless it's to boil noodles, I will almost always sub the water with milk, creamer, chicken stock, wine, etc. Because water has no taste. I want to add something that will make the flavor better.

kiwigal81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiwigal81 Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 11:37pm
post #7 of 9

I find that vege shortening does that more than all butter bc's because it stays firm at a higher temp, butter melts easier, I think that's why all butter doesn't stick to your mouth as much.

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 11:57pm
post #8 of 9

the problem is that crisco no longer has trans fat in it, so that's where the film is coming from. i do a combo of crisco and generic vegetable shortening from the store (but check to label to make sure it still has trans fat in it). 2 parts crisco to 1 part generic. i also use milk (1% typically) but creamer, etc. works fine, so there's a little fat in that as well.

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 3:13am
post #9 of 9

Thank you so much everyone!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%