Help With Crusting Buttercream!

Baking By yummy_in_my_tummy Updated 9 Apr 2010 , 3:13am by yummy_in_my_tummy

yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 4:48pm
post #1 of 9

I just made my first batch ever of Crusting Buttercream. I usually use butter and powdered sugar, but the recipe that I found called for 1 stick of butter, 1 1/2 C Vegetable Shortning and 2 lbs powdered sugar (plus water, extract, etc).

I followed the recipes to a T and it tastes fine, but leaves a film on the roof of my mouth! I think it's because of the Crisco - I was supposed to use Crisco right??

Is that normal? What did I do wrong?

Thanks Everyone!

8 replies
KellJ Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 5:34pm
post #2 of 9

I have no idea....I use butter and crisco in my buttercream but I don't use water, I use either milk, whipping cream or coffee creamer.

Sorry I can't help.....

iamelms Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 5:46pm
post #3 of 9

I don't think you did anything wrong. Crisco is the right thing to use! Some buttercream recipes do kind of linger in your mouth, unfortunately...

mamawrobin Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 10:56pm
post #4 of 9

I think maybe because you used water instead of milk? Water and oil don't mix. I used water in a receipe for icing once and kind of had the same results.

sweetcakesbyjen Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 11:12pm
post #5 of 9

When I first started making icing, I used water and didn't like it. But now, I always use whole milk, and I think it comes out soooo much better. HTH! icon_smile.gif

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 11:33pm
post #6 of 9

I always use milk or creamer to thin my frosting. It's kinda my thing about using water in cooking. Unless it's to boil noodles, I will almost always sub the water with milk, creamer, chicken stock, wine, etc. Because water has no taste. I want to add something that will make the flavor better.

kiwigal81 Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 11:37pm
post #7 of 9

I find that vege shortening does that more than all butter bc's because it stays firm at a higher temp, butter melts easier, I think that's why all butter doesn't stick to your mouth as much.

UpAt2am Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 11:57pm
post #8 of 9

the problem is that crisco no longer has trans fat in it, so that's where the film is coming from. i do a combo of crisco and generic vegetable shortening from the store (but check to label to make sure it still has trans fat in it). 2 parts crisco to 1 part generic. i also use milk (1% typically) but creamer, etc. works fine, so there's a little fat in that as well.

yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 3:13am
post #9 of 9

Thank you so much everyone!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%