Transport Stacked Cakes Indiviually With Fondant Borders

Decorating By infatuated Updated 5 Apr 2010 , 9:22pm by catlharper

infatuated Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 3:45pm
post #1 of 4

Is this a stupid question? I'm making a 3 tier buttercream cake, but want to use fondant border (pearls & bands). From what I read , it is better to stack the cakes on site. I work 12 hour shifts as a nurse, and I can get the cakes made and iced ahead of time, but I can't stay up all day making pearls and borders at the last minute. If I make them a day ahead, won't they be too stiff to arange around the border? Any suggestions? ... More specific, if I make them to arrange at delivery, what is my time limit? I had planned on using gumpaste on the pearls at least. Just to get them out of the mold and looking good. Thanks all you experienced bakers!!! It's really the little things, and I bet I'm not the 1st to have this problem. icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
catlharper Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 4:15pm
post #2 of 4

If they are not hanging off the edge of the cake then you should be ok just attaching them to the bottoms AFTER putting them on a seperating plate (these are the little plastic plates that have the feet on them in case I'm calling them the wrong thing). Just insert the support columns into the cakes before you transport them,transport them in their own boxes and then when you get there all you have to do is stack your cake tiers on top of eachother. Since you will be touching the seperating plates and not the cake board you will not be disturbing your trim.

Now if the fondant drops below the plate then that will have to be done on site and then put it together within a few minutes of rolling the fondant out because once it starts to dry out it will crack. I don't have a solution for you on this one.

As always, take a "fix it kit" with you so you can replace anything that may have come loose or cover a mar.

infatuated Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 4:17pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate the advice. May I say, I think your Baby Courosell is Awesome!! I'm hoping for really good, but not to that detail. Maybe if I made the pearl borders at home at the last minute, I would be ok. From what I've heard, Wilton's gumpaste hardens slower than some others. That might be a strategy. I don't want to push hospital policy by assembly time at work. Lots of policies & procedures in place.

I would feel ok with transporting already stacked with fondant. But, I'm not experienced with buttercream with fondant attachment. [/url]

catlharper Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 9:22pm
post #4 of 4

Thanx! That was one of those cakes I had to transport stacked. I was afraid of getting kinks in the ribbons of the swings so I had to hand hold it for the 30 min delivery..never wracking! Hope your delivery goes perfectly!

Quote by @%username% on %date%