What Do I Charge A Nyc Hotel For Cupcakes?.....

Business By krissycupcakes Updated 4 Apr 2010 , 12:43am by indydebi

krissycupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissycupcakes Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 2:10pm
post #1 of 5

ok heres the question....I work at a restaurant in NJ I had a customer give me a great compliment on my cupcakes and then give me her card she is the marketing director for a chain of NYC high end hotels and she wanted me to sell them my cupcakes!!! when I was done doing the happy dance!!! I emailed her my info and she fowarded it the head chef of the hotels, he called and asked me to come in tuesday with samples!!!!! Im really excited cause if I get this it would be a 6month standing order. but Im not sure what to charge theres alot of factors... its an NYC hotel I can charge fair and not under sell myself like I always feel I do! its a chain so if i get in good I might have a great thing going so i dont wanna over charge, but they do seem to like the gourmet type cupcakes. the one that sealed the deal was a keylime cupcake ( yellow cake with lime zest in it and then just a teaspoon or so of keylime filling with butter cream) so what do i charge... I will be useing my restaurant to make these and there ingredients my boss could care less though i told him i want to run everything thru the bussiness and split the money with him. he was like what ever! so what do i charge per cupcake and what do you think i should do % wise with my boss, oh yeah and then delivery to get across the bridge in to the city they actually take your first born as payment! please help I have to figure this all out by monday night.... thank you all so much for your help i know it will be great!

4 replies
tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 2:23pm
post #2 of 5

Add up all your costs, your time, tolls, ingredients, and say 30% to boss to cover utility expenses, since he doesnt seem to mind you using them, once you have your costs, double it. and that is your cost.

I don't make cupcakes, but I do make candles, soaps, lotions,etc and that is what i do with them, and my wedding cakes. Make sure you include your time in the calculations !!!

That said, CONGRATULATIONS !!!! enjoy that happy dance !!! and shake it once for me !!

edited to add, you could go online and check out their menu prices of current dessert and figure down from that. they will probably 2x or 3x your cost to make a profit.

KarmaStew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarmaStew Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 3:35pm
post #3 of 5

Well, if you are aware that you often undersell yourself then maybe it's time to stop that behavior..

xiswtsawluiix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xiswtsawluiix Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 4:03pm
post #4 of 5

Congrats on this super opportunity! I agree with Tesso. Just do that and run with it. Enjoy!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 12:43am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaStew

Well, if you are aware that you often undersell yourself then maybe it's time to stop that behavior..

Ditto. Put on your BUSINESS woman hat ... not your WOMAN hat, which means don't fret and worry and stress that they might not "like" you or something silly.

You are a business. You have a product that impressed someone in their management team. There's a price associated with that. They are not looking for walmart pricing. If they were, they'd go to walmart. If you're talking to a legitimate hotel CHEF, he knows the value of a good food product and he knows what goes into one.

Now pull up those big girl panties and land that sale!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%