Help!! Fondant Decor. On Cupcakes Bent Over And Shiny

Baking By CypressCakes Updated 5 Apr 2010 , 2:02am by CypressCakes

CypressCakes Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 2:01pm
post #1 of 4

I am new to posting, so bare with me icon_smile.gif

I made cupcakes yesterday (Friday) for Easter weekend. I made a swirl of buttercream on top. I used some mini Easter cookie cutters to cut out Easter shapes from fondant. I let the fondant decorations dry most of the day, then drew faces, etc. on with edible markers. Last night, after swirling the buttercream on top, I stuck in the fondant decorations. I put them in my cake carriers, and covered them for the night. This morning I go in the kitchen and look, and all the fondant pieces on top of the cupcakes have belt over and are very shiny. I took off the lids and the fondant is sticky. HELP!!! Should I have let the fondant dry longer? Did I make a mistake by covering them last night with my carrier lids? Did the fondant absorb the oil from the buttercream? Should I have waited until I was ready to serve the cupcakes to stick the fondant pieces into the buttercream?

I am thinking about re-cutting the fondant pieces, taking off the bent ones, and replacing them with new cut outs but I don't want it to happen again. I would appreciate your suggestions!!! This was my first time putting fondant pieces in buttercream and I guess I messed up! icon_sad.gif

3 replies
Ursula40 Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 11:09pm
post #2 of 4

If you put fondant in a closed enviroment where they can't breathe, yes they will become soft and sticky, I learnt the hard way. I had mine in a plastic cupcake carrier. Now I just put the lid on when transporting them, but as soon as they arrive, lid comes off

Dreme Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 2:05am
post #3 of 4

In general its ok to have the fondant on the cupcakes. That normally the problem. I have dummy cupcakes with fondant decorations that have lasted for years. The problem is usually due to humidity and an enclosed enviroment. I also suggest making your fondant at least one day in advance and letting it air dry overnight before using them. Cuts down on the fondat wilting.

CypressCakes Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 2:02am
post #4 of 4

Thanks for your help and advice. After posting my initial message, I stopped and thought about what had happened. I guess I just wasn't thinking when I put them in my cupcake carrier and covered them for the night. I know that fondant covered cakes should not be covered because the fondant will get soft and your fondant accents/decor. will get soft and sticky...guess I should have know that would happen on my cupcakes, too. When I make cakes, I always leave them uncovered, or if I put them in a carrier/box, I leave it cracked. I've learned for next time. BTW, I was able to pull off the bent ones...remake the pieces again, let them dry over night, and stuck them on the cupcakes right before serving!! They looked great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%