Update On Cakegirls

Decorating By ttehan4 Updated 5 Apr 2010 , 4:56am by shearpamela

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 12:16pm
post #1 of 32

This is a message posted by Kerry Vincent:

Mary Maher and I spoke at length today and she is humbled at the support that she and Brenda have received from the cake community. She is establishing an address for us to send whatever equipment and support that we are able. She will e-mail me when arrangements are finalized.

She is very busy relocating her brides to other decorating studios and dealing with the insurance company at present which I quite understand will be time consuming. She is grateful we have given them breathing room and thanks everyone for their kindness.

As soon as Kerry post the address I will update the forum.

31 replies
2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 2:57pm
post #2 of 32

And we are all waiting to see how we or anyone else can help. They are in my prayers, and sending best wishes there way.

shearpamela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shearpamela Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 3:05pm
post #3 of 32

Wouldn't it be great if they could set up some sort of registry of all the things they needed? That would simplify things and prevent duplicates being chosen.
Of course money is always good too, along with prayers icon_smile.gif

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 3:11pm
post #4 of 32

I praise God that no one was injured or killed in this tragic accident.... and this is an prime example why is so imperative (sp?) to have insurance... to have a good relationships with everyone you meet....

I know how many people have gotten to admire, enjoy, love and feel the pain that these two wonderful sisters bring to us through their work and nice disposition...

It's so wonderful to see how everyone has been outpouring their hearts to them...

God be with them and let's pray that this transition goes as smoothly as is can so that they can re-start making their great masterpieces...

lisamenz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisamenz Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 3:23pm
post #5 of 32

I think as the above post said , a regristry is a great idea. I look forward in helping in some way. icon_lol.gif These ladies have really help put the cake art on the map. People like these gals are always good for inspiration and helping all cake artist in showing people what cake art is all about. My box is ready to go in the mail , as soon as they let us know what they need. thumbs_up.gif

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 3:29pm
post #6 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamenz

I think as the above post said , a regristry is a great idea. I look forward in helping in some way. icon_lol.gif These ladies have really help put the cake art on the map. People like these gals are always good for inspiration and helping all cake artist in showing people what cake art is all about. My box is ready to go in the mail , as soon as they let us know what they need. thumbs_up.gif

Ditto. I may only be a hobbyist but I've come to admire the gorgeous cakes that these ladies create. If I can help in any way...I will.

They are in my thoughts and prayers.

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 3:31pm
post #7 of 32

A registry is a great idea!!!

forthwife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forthwife Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 3:52pm
post #8 of 32

Terrible question. If they have insurance why do they need donations of money and equipment? Items should all be covered provided they had adequate insurance. Prayers yes, words of support, sure...but equipment and money? What am I missing?

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 3:59pm
post #9 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by forthwife

Terrible question. If they have insurance why do they need donations of money and equipment? Items should all be covered provided they had adequate insurance. Prayers yes, words of support, sure...but equipment and money? What am I missing?

I don't mean to sound ingracious, but I've also asked myself this question. What happened to them was terrifying and devastating emotionally, but this is a very successful business. Surely their insurance will make them whole.

11cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
11cupcakes Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 4:05pm
post #10 of 32

Yes, insurance will cover most of the loss. But I do not think it hurt to set up some help account or registry. And it is your choice to participate in it or not.

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 4:19pm
post #11 of 32

I think the idea behind sending items was to help them with completing orders until they were able to replace the items that were losed via their insurance.

I think we all know how important all the cake tools are that we have and how it would be impossible to create a cake without them. The girls lost all their tools and have 500 orders to fill. I think the outreach of fellow cakers who were willing to send extra items that they had was a gracious way to show support to our colleagues.

I'm sure they are able to purchase the things that they need, but helping someone in a time of grief and urgency is a great thing to do and I'm sure it would be much appreciated.

God rewards you 10 fold!

MyDiwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyDiwa Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 4:26pm
post #12 of 32

I believe Insurance also takes a while to get sorted out, so this would help them out in the meantime.

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 4:28pm
post #13 of 32

I think sending things is a way to show emotional support during a tremendously bad time. It's a way to show friendship, good wishes and respect for what they're going through.

Ruth0209 Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 4:42pm
post #14 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetjan

I think sending things is a way to show emotional support during a tremendously bad time. It's a way to show friendship, good wishes and respect for what they're going through.

Yes, it is. Also keep in mind that it may be a burden to them. They have to go through a bunch of random donations that may or may not be usable items for them, they have to store it, dispense with what they can't use, sanitize it, and find a place to put it.

I'm not trying to be a meanie. I just think this may be a case of misguided generosity that causes them more work than they may want or need. I hope someone asks them before they start shipping items to them.

MyDiwa Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 4:44pm
post #15 of 32

Someone's suggested a registry so they dont get duplicates and stuff they dont need so hopefully that would take care of not creating issues for them instead of helping.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 5:02pm
post #16 of 32

I agree with Forthwife & Ruth0209. I don't mean to sound cruel but why would you want to donate stuff to them? They are more than well off financially and they are fully insured. They have a huge network in their city with many cake decorating places and friends helping them out. I doubt that they really want second hand cake equipment or someones cast off items or even if it's new - how do you know what they prefer?

Even if the insurance takes time to get to them they are not penniless or without a home, family or friends. Where are they supposed to put this stuff that is being sent? They will establish their new store in time and they will purchase what they want and will probably have better equipment then they had in their original store.

If people are so intent on sending them stuff then someone (like Jackie) needs to ask Kerry Vincent to ask them what they would like. I think it's absurd to send them whatever you think they might want.

I feel sympathy for them also and what a tragic thing to happen. But step back and think about this - they don't need to be burdened with stuff they don't want, have no use for and then have to get rid of it and throw it in the dumpster.

lisamenz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisamenz Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 5:17pm
post #17 of 32

This is called a regristry, and only if they want it. icon_lol.gif They may not. I think of new things not used and I don't believe anyone would send used? Insurance pays for alot of things yes, but alot of the little things that CC people would like to help with is a good jesture . Again they may not want or need it, but why not offer it. icon_rolleyes.gif Or maybe just nice cards of well wishes is what some people may wish to send also. Happy Cake Decorating Everyone!

11cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
11cupcakes Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 5:22pm
post #18 of 32

I agree we should ask them what they need, like been said some people show they emotional support by sending a card or some items. I also think they do not really need second hand items, because they are an upscale business and will come back that way. I like idea of registry a lot. This way those who want to help would with what they really need. And it would be good to contact them again and see what they think about it.

forthwife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forthwife Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 5:25pm
post #19 of 32

Sorry all, I didn't mean to hijack the thread. I was just curious. I just know these are highly successful business people and I'm sure they've got a plan they're implementing. Insurance is slow, but not WAY slow (my parents were in the insurance business for years.) Set up a temporary shop with a local bakery as partners and you're in business. In the long run they will probably look back at this as beneficial (as most of as do when we're forced into a corner). When they set up their new shop, they'll have more flexibility in location, kitchen, etc etc because they're not new, no namers. Several of the articles mentioned they didn't love their old location but it was the best they could do at the time. I hope they get to live out their wildest cake dreams in their new, beautiful location. Imagine, new building, new equipment, all set up perfectly now that they now what they really want and need. I'm sure they'll work it out right.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 6:08pm
post #20 of 32

The support is wonderful and amazing...but,
Yeah really please do not send these professionals used Wilton stuff. They are used to professional equipment. And with the time it takes to send something to them and for them to get around to opening all the boxes and seeing if it is actually something they can use and not a duplicateX100... that would be overwhelming and would take up a lot of time. Time they don't have right now. Sending in donated stuff isn't such a great idea.

The easiest thing all the way around would be to call up their favorite local store or on-line store and pay for a few dollars of credit for them to use as they need. That way they are getting what they need from where they need it. I imagine it would wind up a couple thousand dollars worth if everyone gave a few dollars.

KarmaStew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarmaStew Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 6:16pm
post #21 of 32

Oh sadsmile.... I just had the most horrible vision of them receiving hundreds of greasy bent star tips, character pans and Wilton cake levelers. *Shudder*

myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 6:19pm
post #22 of 32

Wouldn't it be nice to set up a registry of some sort for DDiva also if she wants it. She too recently lost her business, hers to a tornado.

Butterpatty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterpatty Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 6:23pm
post #23 of 32

I second the idea of Ddiva also! She has really been on my heart since she posted here about losing all in the tornado.

Ruth0209 Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 6:24pm
post #24 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by myslady

Wouldn't it be nice to set up a registry of some sort for DDiva also if she wants it. She too recently lost her business, hers to a tornado.

Now THERE's a good idea. I was just going to say how interesting it is that people are so quick to respond to people who are famous but only one person had even suggested that maybe DDiva could use some help. I don't know what size of business she has, but I'll bet she is not as financially well fixed as CakeGirls (probably few are compared to them). Peoples' efforts might be better spent asking to help someone who probably really needs it.

KarmaStew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarmaStew Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 6:26pm
post #25 of 32

I didn't know DDiva lost her business as well. That is so tragic.

MyDiwa Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 6:44pm
post #26 of 32

I thought of DDiva too but didn't know how to bring it up in this thread without coming off looking bad. She likely is more in need than the Cakegirls because she hasnt had the media focus and the publicity to get the word out. Either way, I'm in.

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 6:51pm
post #27 of 32

Insurance may not cover everything. And I'm sure they would like to pick out their own equipment. In addition, they may have to pay for things insurance doesn't cover. Rental on a temporary space, overtime for all staff to complete orders - I'm sure any temporary setup will not be as efficient as their own kitchen, work clothing etc....these are just off the top of my head.

Maybe a fund for donations "Cake Central Cares" or something. It could take PayPal, like the donations we make to this site. Then others in need could benefit too?

Just a thought...

kittiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kittiecakes Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 6:55pm
post #28 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by myslady

This seams to make a lot more sense to me. I think I saw her thread of losing her buisiness going up right after CakeGirls fire, tey everyone wants to donate to Cakegirls and say nothing about her. Is it cause they are famous and she isn't. And I also agree with Peridot. They have full coverage insurance, they are not trying to finish their orders, cause they are out sourcing them, so the don't need equipment right now. If you want to be "generous", then I am sure there are some much more needing people right in your community as we speak. Help them...unless you are only doing it to be able to say, "I helped Cakegirls." Go for giving out the kindness of your heart and the right reaons! thumbs_up.gif

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 1:57am
post #29 of 32

Someone must know Ddiva and could ask her if she would like people to send donations and find out what she would like. I am more in favor of helping Ddiva if she wants and needs help.

As a previous poster stated, people in your own community or church would appreciate your help especially in this time when so many people have lost their jobs like a lot of our own CC'ers and many have stated just that on here.

Ddiva was forgotten as she was not famous and in the national news.

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 2:08am
post #30 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyT

Maybe a fund for donations "Cake Central Cares" or something. It could take PayPal, like the donations we make to this site. Then others in need could benefit too?

Just a thought...

Patty, I love your idea.....count me in if you or someone else gets it going....I love the idea for the name too! Let me know if I can be of help with this...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%