Help!

Decorating By sweethaven09 Updated 5 Apr 2010 , 12:15pm by minicuppie

sweethaven09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweethaven09 Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 6:46am
post #1 of 13

I am making a half sheet cake for tomorrow (or today), but every time I try to take it out of the pan it sticks and breaks apart. The first time I used the cake release from wilton, now I'm trying wax paper on the bottom. I let the cake sit and cool for about 30 minutes. Is this to short for this size pan. Does anyone have any suggestions. Thanks!

12 replies
sweetlybaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlybaked Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 6:58am
post #2 of 13

I think that might be too LONG. Usually about 15-20 mins does it. If it's not breaking too badly, just stick it in the freezer and work with it broken. They won't be able to tell it was broken after you frost and decorate it.

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 7:04am
post #3 of 13

I agree--30 minutes is probably too long, and 15-20 minutes is usually better. Also, you need to support the cake really well when it is being turned out of the pan. Another thing that helps is making sure that the cake is pretty loose in the pan before you tip it out. I have even given it a gentle shake while still upright, just to make sure it wasn't sticking while it was still well-supported by the pan. Some recipes actually say to run a knife around the sides of the pan, but I'd be afraid of slipping and marring the side of the cake or scratching the pan.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 7:04am
post #4 of 13

I actually have my cakes leveled and then flipped out of the pan within 2 minutes of them coming out of the oven.

Are you putting a good coating of pan release on the pan? Don't be conservative or stingy. Slap that stuff on there! thumbs_up.gif

LadyinaRedApron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyinaRedApron Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 7:22am
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I actually have my cakes leveled and then flipped out of the pan within 2 minutes of them coming out of the oven.

Are you putting a good coating of pan release on the pan? Don't be conservative or stingy. Slap that stuff on there! thumbs_up.gif

Really? If I try to level my cakes while they are even slightly warm they pull and tear... What's your secret?

Have you tried using shortening (i.e. Crisco) with flour sprinkled on it? That's what I use and I don't really seem to have a problem. HTH!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 7:33am
post #6 of 13

A super long (16" blade), super sharp knife, sawing motions, years of practice. icon_wink.gif

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 8:52am
post #7 of 13

I always used P_A_M for baking and it works beautifully...I set my timer for 20 minutes... flip it out of the pan (never had any issues with it sticking or breaking) then set timer for another 30 minuites... afer that... when cool tp the touch... I wrap it in Press_&_Seal and fridge...

hth

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 11:28am
post #8 of 13

i grease my tin, and line it with greaseproof .like debi, i flip and level my cakes with in minutes of coming from the oven, never had any problems with tearing or breaking.

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 12:04pm
post #9 of 13

Have you perhaps over baked the cake and it is a bit fluffy and dry? Won't cause it to stick, but sure with make it crack. Just a thought.

sweethaven09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweethaven09 Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 2:23pm
post #10 of 13

Thanks for all of your suggestions...I decreased my cooling time, and when I used the wax paper it didn't break..Ill also put it in the fridge to harden up some before I start assembling..Minicuppie-I baked my cakes about 40-45 mins at 325. And I checked it with a toothpick and it came out clean.

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 2:45pm
post #11 of 13

I also use the PAM spray, never had an issue yet! icon_smile.gif

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 6:50pm
post #12 of 13

i've made a large one and i only use parchment paper on the bottom and crisco the sides, one thing i did do was take my board put it on the top of the pan and flip it over, parchment works great for me no more broken cakes, just make sure the parchment doesn't go up the sides hth

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 12:15pm
post #13 of 13

Tip...remove your cake from the oven when still showing some moist crumbs on the toothpick or skewer. It will continue to bake after removing from the oven and thus preventing a dry product.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%