What Would You Do For Stucture?

Decorating By korine Updated 3 Apr 2010 , 2:38pm by korine

korine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korine Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 4:18am
post #1 of 4

Hi all! I am putting together a cake tomorrow and have some questions about support. The bottom will be a 8inch square cake about 3 inches deep. It will be covered in fondant. On top I want to put a small castle, about a 4 inch cube, with some small towers coming off the top. It too will be fondant. Do you think I need some support under the top cake? Do you think I need to put something through both to keep it together? Or could I just put some royal icing in between? Oh each cake has a foam-core bottom. Thanks for your help! Hope that makes some sense!

3 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 4:28am
post #2 of 4

I would put a few dowels under the castle, or even a few drinking straws if the castle isn't too heavy. If the towers are going to make it want to tip, use a wood skewer as a center dowel.

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 5:58am
post #3 of 4

I 100% agree with Texas_Rose! You have to give it some support or risk major disaster! and if it's tall and tippy a rod/skewer straight down the middle won't take hardly any effort and your cake will get to it's destination in one piece.

korine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korine Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 2:38pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks Ladies! I have never tried to put a center dowel through the foam core. I am a bit nervous about trying that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%