How Would I? (Pineapple Up-Side Down Cake)

Baking By Sabre3of4 Updated 5 Apr 2010 , 3:33am by Sabre3of4

Sabre3of4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sabre3of4 Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 1:18am
post #1 of 6

I would like to make a cake for my step mother and my dad swears that her favorite flavor is Pineapple Up-side Down Cake...... My plan is a 2 layer cake made from the largest size oval cake topped with the 3-D bunny cake (pound cake).

I was hoping someone could tell me how can I get the upside down pineapple cake flavor without actually making one. Would making a pineapple flavor cake with a carmel filling do it?\\

Sabrina

5 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 1:40am
post #2 of 6

well, I vote for the REAL deal -- ain't nothing like it and SO easy to make!

some classic recipes:
http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/pineapple-upside-down-cake/a1c9a639-0748-4f2c-89f5-fd33cf138986
http://www.joyofbaking.com/PineappleUpsideDownCake.html (a history of the cake here too!)
pineapple upside down cake (mmmmm pecans too!)

and Alton Brown has an interesting twist -- cornbread!
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pineapple-upside-down-cornmeal-cake-recipe/index.html

i grew up with the batter being a Jiffy cake mix

----

that being said, the real deal is a flavor blend of brown sugar, maraschino cherries, butter and yellow cake batter -- caramel is not really one of the flavors (brown sugar + butter has a distinctly different taste than caramel)

-----

then to your cake:

• a 2-layer cake pineapple cake. (mine would have crushed or tibit pineapple in it, along with the juice subbing for the water)
  • BC icing made with REAL butter that has had a touch of molasses added (that's what makes brown sugar into brown sugar)
  • studded with maraschino cherries (tho' one might chop those up and add to cake batter so they are in the cake too)
  • for extra good measure, chopped pecans smooshed on too

tmgarcia_98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmgarcia_98 Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 1:57am
post #3 of 6

I would definitely go with the real thing. I have made one tier of a cake before by baking 2 1-layer pineapple upside-down cakes and stacking them both with the pineapple sides together. Then you can level and cover in buttercream or fondant.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 2:08am
post #4 of 6

i am with doug all the way. make them for my sil at times. i try different recipes of the real thing!!!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 2:13am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgarcia_98

I would definitely go with the real thing. I have made one tier of a cake before by baking 2 1-layer pineapple upside-down cakes and stacking them both with the pineapple sides together. Then you can level and cover in buttercream or fondant.

oooooooh, this sounds SO decadent!

Sabre3of4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sabre3of4 Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 3:33am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgarcia_98

Thank you to those that answeredicon_smile.gif. It seems the vote is for the real thing, I was hesitant to do that as I wasn't sure how to do it with the pinapple bits. But I will try this suggestion and see how it goes.

Sabrina

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%