How Would I? (Pineapple Up-Side Down Cake)

Baking By Sabre3of4 Updated 5 Apr 2010 , 3:33am by Sabre3of4

Sabre3of4 Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 1:18am
post #1 of 6

I would like to make a cake for my step mother and my dad swears that her favorite flavor is Pineapple Up-side Down Cake...... My plan is a 2 layer cake made from the largest size oval cake topped with the 3-D bunny cake (pound cake).

I was hoping someone could tell me how can I get the upside down pineapple cake flavor without actually making one. Would making a pineapple flavor cake with a carmel filling do it?\\

Sabrina

5 replies
Doug Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 1:40am
post #2 of 6

well, I vote for the REAL deal -- ain't nothing like it and SO easy to make!

some classic recipes:
http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/pineapple-upside-down-cake/a1c9a639-0748-4f2c-89f5-fd33cf138986
http://www.joyofbaking.com/PineappleUpsideDownCake.html (a history of the cake here too!)
pineapple upside down cake (mmmmm pecans too!)

and Alton Brown has an interesting twist -- cornbread!
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pineapple-upside-down-cornmeal-cake-recipe/index.html

i grew up with the batter being a Jiffy cake mix

----

that being said, the real deal is a flavor blend of brown sugar, maraschino cherries, butter and yellow cake batter -- caramel is not really one of the flavors (brown sugar + butter has a distinctly different taste than caramel)

-----

then to your cake:

• a 2-layer cake pineapple cake. (mine would have crushed or tibit pineapple in it, along with the juice subbing for the water)
  • BC icing made with REAL butter that has had a touch of molasses added (that's what makes brown sugar into brown sugar)
  • studded with maraschino cherries (tho' one might chop those up and add to cake batter so they are in the cake too)
  • for extra good measure, chopped pecans smooshed on too

tmgarcia_98 Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 1:57am
post #3 of 6

I would definitely go with the real thing. I have made one tier of a cake before by baking 2 1-layer pineapple upside-down cakes and stacking them both with the pineapple sides together. Then you can level and cover in buttercream or fondant.

icer101 Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 2:08am
post #4 of 6

i am with doug all the way. make them for my sil at times. i try different recipes of the real thing!!!

Doug Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 2:13am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgarcia_98

I would definitely go with the real thing. I have made one tier of a cake before by baking 2 1-layer pineapple upside-down cakes and stacking them both with the pineapple sides together. Then you can level and cover in buttercream or fondant.

oooooooh, this sounds SO decadent!

Sabre3of4 Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 3:33am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgarcia_98

Thank you to those that answeredicon_smile.gif. It seems the vote is for the real thing, I was hesitant to do that as I wasn't sure how to do it with the pinapple bits. But I will try this suggestion and see how it goes.

Sabrina

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%