Trying Durable Cake Jello Instead Of Pudding?

Baking By Odyssey Updated 3 Apr 2010 , 3:07am by Odyssey

Odyssey Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 12:35am
post #1 of 3

I wanted to make the homemade WASC, but I didn't get the flavoring oils soon enough and now I have a bit of an emergency...
Now since I had so much trouble with both WASC recipes I'm trying heartsfire's Durable cake recipe. I need to make a strawberry cake so I have a strawberry mix along with a strawberry jello and a white chocolate pudding. I know the recipe calls for pudding mix, but since the box says it has pudding in the mix could I use the jello instead and drop the sugar a bit?

I'm not used to baking chemistry yet. I am willing to use the pudding, but I wanted to know if it was possible to use jello.

Any help appreciated.

2 replies
JanH Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 2:49am
post #2 of 3

McCormick mades a great strawberry extract:
(Can be found in most larger grocery stores.)

I much prefer the McCormick's strawberry extract to using Jello, which makes the resulting cake way too sweet but not very strawberry flavored IMHO.

The WASC is my go to recipe when I want something quick and easy.

Here's a thread that has kakeladi's and Rebecca's version of WASC, as well as other popular CC recipes for crusting American buttercreams and several types of fondant:

The above super thread also has Wilton cake baking help, as well as CC member contributed baking hints & tips (such as use of bake-even strips, inverted flower nails and pan grease recipe). Also includes cake decorating and assembly help.

How are you mixing/baking the recipe. Here's what I do.

One of the basic techniques in scratch baking is measuring flour accurately.
When measuring flour, do you use the "scoop and drag" method and then shake to level.... You should be aerating the flour prior to gently spooning it into the measuring cup and using a straight edge to level.

Also, when it comes to mixing, MORE (as in more speed or longer mixing time) is not BETTER. Overmixing will develop the gluten and result in a tough cake. Overmixing will also cause a cake to sink.

When I make any of the WASC cake recipes, I sift all the dry ingredients together into a large bowl, and mix all the wet ingredients in a second larger bowl.

Then I add the dry to the wet and beat for 2 mins. using an electric hand mixer at medium speed.

If using a stand mixer, I would mix at the lowest speed for 2 mins. or less.

Handy cake troubleshooting charts:

Bake at 325F, using both inverted flower nails and bake-even strips. Can use Wilton cake making charts as guideline but the WASC always cook past the maximum stated times...

Odyssey Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 3:07am
post #3 of 3

Thank you so much Jan.

I just couldn't find the extract which is why I bought the jello, just in case I could use it. I realized about an hour ago that I needed to bake it now so I used the white choc pudding. Thank goodness I seem to have made the right choice! The recipe was similar to WASC, so I was very concerned since I've had two WASCs sink.

This time I did try sifting and a little extra baking powder and no sinking. icon_biggrin.gif I think next time I will make sure I have all me ingredients farther in advance, because my cake store was already closed. Next time it WILL be scratch!

Quote by @%username% on %date%