Help! Cream Cheese Icing On Wedding Cake???

Decorating By tiffevans Updated 3 Apr 2010 , 5:26pm by leah_s

tiffevans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiffevans Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 12:00am
post #1 of 13

I have a wedding in the morning. I have already iced my cakes. I have never worked with cream cheese icing on a wedding cake before and the recipe that I used WILL NOT crust or even dry so I can smooth it out. PLEASE PLEASE HElP!! I am thinking I should crape off the icing and start over....I used the recipe on here posted by edencakes...it does taste wonderful but it will smooth out...help!! I even added meringe powder to it to help it out...I dont know what to do and I am running out of time!!

12 replies
Elaine2581 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elaine2581 Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 12:06am
post #2 of 13

You could try letting it sit in the refrigerator, but it will probably take close to an hour for each tier for it to harden enough to cover with VIVA paper towels or parchment paper and smooth. I never use cream cheese frosting on wedding cakes; just add LorAnn cheesecake oil to buttercream and works much better and tastes almost as good. Best of luck!

tiffevans Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 12:11am
post #3 of 13

thanks...i am almost in tears...

rockytop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockytop Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 12:18am
post #4 of 13

I have never worked with cream cheese icing , but from what I gather from the wonderful people on this website say that it WILL NOT CRUST like a buttercream icing will.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 12:18am
post #5 of 13

I can never get cream cheese icing smooth. I would make your usual BC and ice with that. Can you call the bride?

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 12:24am
post #6 of 13

I hate icing with cream cheese, I use it to fill with instead. Do you have enough stuff to make regular icing? Sorry you are having such a bad time of it. Don't panic, sometimes when one thing doesn't work, you just have to switch gears, it's cake, don't let it push you around. Take a deep breath, step back and look at your options.
1. Go with what you have
2. Scrape and re-ice with regular icing.
3. Throw it out the window and have a margarita!
(Personally I'd go with #2, and the latter part of #3)

oceanslayer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanslayer Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 12:26am
post #7 of 13

I just read a post on here the other day but I sure can't find it. Anyway, one member was asking about using cream cheese icing and the other members told her that they absolutely do not use cream cheese on wedding cakes. I believe one person suggested that it was possible to use the cream cheese icing as a filler between the layers and to use the regular buttercream for the outer layer and decorations. I've never tried this but it could be a good compromise.

tiffevans Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 12:30am
post #8 of 13

I think we have decided to use a thin coat of crusting buttercream so I can get it to smooth...never again will i use cream cheese on a wedding cake!!

kittiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kittiecakes Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 1:03am
post #9 of 13

You decided to try cream cheese frosting the day before the wedding for a wedding cake? I'm sorry. I know you are really freaked out.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 1:06am
post #10 of 13

Yeah, cream cheese icing as a filling only. Never on the outside of a wedding cake.

That said, if you have a crock pot, set it to high and fill it with boiling water. Use that to dip your spatula/bench scraper, shake off the water and use that to smooth the cake. Smooth, dip, shake. Repeat. Frequently.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 1:57am
post #11 of 13

FYI for next time... Edna has a crusting cream cheese icing... taste great and crusts very good.... good luck!

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 5:23pm
post #12 of 13

I do have a crusting cream cheese recipe that smooths and decorates like BC, but I will not use it on a wedding cake just because it will be left out too long and cream cheese needs to be refrigerated.

I use Lorann's cheesecake flavoring to flavor my BC and fill with a commercial cream cheese filling. It tastes wonderfully and keep in mine you only use a few drops.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 5:26pm
post #13 of 13

N8, I use the Lorann cheesecake flavoring also. It's pretty darn good.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%