Another Air Bubble- Please Help

Decorating By Liz1951 Updated 3 Apr 2010 , 11:49am by Liz1951

Liz1951 Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 11:35pm
post #1 of 7

I'm so frustrated. Last weekend one of my cakes had an air bubble. So after spending over an hour reading on CC about air bubbles, and watching Sharon Zambito's DVD again perfecting buttercream, I felt like I found the answer to the problem....condensation. I felt so good about the cake I decorated last night. I didn't freeze this one so I thought to myself, yea no condensation and no air bubble. WRONG!! I just noticed on the back side of the cake an air bubble. I inserted a small pin and smoothed it out, but now I'm worried what if it pops up again at the baby shower. I also have a wedding cake sitting on my table for tomorrow. Now, I'll worry about air bubbles on that monster. Please....any help on this will be greatly appreciated. Don't know what I'm doing wrong. So frustrating. Thanks!!!!

6 replies
catlharper Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 12:17am
post #2 of 7

yes, a cake that is too cold when you apply the fondant can develop air bubbles...I'm beginning to think it's just one of the drawbacks you have to deal with when it comes to using fondant. You said you didn't freeze the cake this time but you can freeze the cake, crumbcoat it and then wait for about 2 hours for the cake to come up to room temp. This seems to help the bubble problem for me. I have learned that when I rush it then I have a better chance of bubbles but when I let it warm up to room temp I have less problems. I just keep a close watch in the first hour or so after putting the fondant on and then prick and smooth any that may begin to pop up.

ninatat Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 2:19am
post #3 of 7

are you sure it's not the butter cream being to heavy, my first was so lumpy, i don't put much more than a crumb coat, i freeze my cakes, unwrap and let defrost the night before and put a paper towel to keep fresh, hth

dguerrant Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 3:27am
post #4 of 7

was you cake really really chilled, or partially frozen? if so when you frost the cake, as it thaws, in the fridge or on the counter, it will begin to settle and force any trapped air inbetween the tiers to comeout. When I stack mine, I put a pretty generous layer of buttercream on the bottom layer all the way past the edge, stack the next, and gently press down on the top. then run my spatula around the cake while gently pressing on the top. crumb coat, then frost as usual

jennywenny Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 3:39am
post #5 of 7

A theory I have is that I've been having more success since I've made sure to brush off the back of the fondant to make sure it has no sugar/cornstarch on it, then press down quite hard when smoothing the fondant to make sure it sticks to the buttercream well. That and make sure that the cake has settled really well to eliminate any bubbles that come from the filling.

Kitagrl Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 3:40am
post #6 of 7

I've been getting air bubbles alot lately...I put fondant on cold cake...I always just figured its because my buttercream was not perfectly smooth...any gap at all between the surface and the fondant is going to trap air....

Liz1951 Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 11:49am
post #7 of 7

This cake was room temperature when I started decorating it. I didn't freeze this cake at all. It stayed on my table all night and look great the next morning. I moved it to the island, and a few hours later is when I noticed the air bubble. Now I'm thinking it had to do with the move. Even though it was a small cake (10" rd) with 2 cake boards under it, maybe it shifted or something. Such a frustrating mystery.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%