Suggested Baking Times

Baking By JennasNonna Updated 4 Apr 2010 , 2:23am by Lita829

JennasNonna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennasNonna Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 8:53pm
post #1 of 5

I am new to cake decorating and I have been experimenting with different recipes and cake pans. I am having trouble adjusting the baking times to bake properly in larger pans. Does anyone have guide to this. Recently I baked a banana chocolate cake that normally bakes in 25-30 minutes in an 8" cake pan. I made 2 recipes and baked together in a 10X15X2" square pan. I had to bake about 1 hour for the cake tester to come out clean. But the cake seems dry and over cooked. I would appreciate any suggestions. icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 9:07pm
post #2 of 5

logically, larger pans take longer to bake. Reduce the temp for larger cakes (at home, I bake at 325 instead of 350). Baking strips also help the cakes bake more evenly. (see this thread for the science behind how they work: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6626888.html#6626888 )

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 10:00pm
post #3 of 5

I agree with Indy. Also try baking the cakes with an inverted flower nail to conduct the heat evenly from in the center. I works great to produce an evenly baked, moist cake that is not over done. Many here on CC use this trick.

HTH!

JennasNonna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennasNonna Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 9:36pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks so much. I never thought of lowering the temperature. Can I use the baking strips and the flower nail? Greatly appreciate your advise. I have a 4 tier cake to bake for my son's surprise 30th birthday party at the end of April. Thanks againC!

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 2:23am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennasNonna

Thanks so much. I never thought of lowering the temperature. Can I use the baking strips and the flower nail? Greatly appreciate your advise. I have a 4 tier cake to bake for my son's surprise 30th birthday party at the end of April. Thanks againC!

Sure can. I do it all the time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%