First Topsy Turvy Cake Advice.

Decorating By katies_cakes Updated 3 Apr 2010 , 11:46am by dreamacres

katies_cakes Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 8:34pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone, im making my first TT this weekend and using the method where you cut out a level hole in the top of each tier for the tier above to sit in im also carving the sides a little. i was wondering if anyone had any tips to share? is there anything i may not have thought of? i want it togo well. can i fill it with jam&BC? or will that be too slippy? also whats the best way to go about carving the sides so they are smaller at the bottom? TIA

5 replies
paulstonia Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 3:30am
post #2 of 6

For your first try I would just use buttercream filling, but that's just me. My only suggestion or hint would be when I cut the whole in the top of mine I used the cake circle to measure the size of the whole. But once I added buttercream and fondant it was a little bit tight getting it in and it made the sides a little weak. So, cut the whole a little bigger than you think you need.

dguerrant Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 3:46am
post #3 of 6

i found out that it is better to have at least athree to four inch differece between the size of tiers.

to do the sides, lets say 8", I put it on an 8" board, layer and smooth the middle where the extra frosting is, on the top i put a 7" or 6" cake circle in the center, sticking it to the cake with frosting. next, take a long knike and hold it next to the top circle and the point at the base of the cake on the edge of the circle and cut in a circular manner all the wasy around the cake. once done, you can clean up anything that needs to be rimmed, flip it over and remove the 8" board and you are good to go icon_smile.gif GOOD LUCK

katies_cakes Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 9:40am
post #4 of 6

Thank you both, ill let everyone know how it went once its done. excited to get started now, but still nervous!

noahsmummy Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 10:05am
post #5 of 6

suppport support support! also, dont get your hopes up super high that it will work! my first( and only one) was a disaster! hahaha. (check out pics) luckily it was only for my sisters bday so it didnt matter too much. if you are doing it for a major event, make sure you do a trial run foirst! =)

good luck!

dreamacres Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 11:46am
post #6 of 6

I tried one, total mess. The things I will do different are, denser cake, let layers rest longer before adding fondant, thinner fondant. Good luck, hope it goes great for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%