Corn Syrup For Cheap Alternative To Piping Gel

Decorating By PartyCake Updated 3 Apr 2010 , 8:05pm by Mommyofseven

PartyCake Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 8:33pm
post #1 of 5

I want to make fake ketchup and mustard but need large quantities and don't want to purchase Piping Gel. Can I just color Corn Syrup and store it in ketchup and mustard containers for a kid's party? How long will it store for? Does the consistency work with squeeze bottles or does the Corn Syrup get too thick for the opening? I have tried frosting and icing but they both crust up and clog the opening of the squeeze bottles. The same goes for melting chocolate.

4 replies
Jewelsx19 Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 8:52pm
post #2 of 5

The clear corn syrup would work in a squeeze bottle, because they come in squeeze bottles. Maybe you could use those bottles (which have a flip lid like ketchup) and make lables for them to cover the lable on the bottle? And i figure you could store it for a long time, I am guess until the expirey date?

Mommyofseven Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 9:18pm
post #3 of 5

There are a couple of piping gel recipes listed on this site. I have used the Piping Gel that works a few times with no problems. http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6998/piping-gel-that-works

2txmedics Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 7:42pm
post #4 of 5

and you can use this piping gel as you would the Wilton brand directly onto the cake, bc???

Mommyofseven Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 8:05pm
post #5 of 5

I have put it directly on bc every time I have used it just like the Wiltons

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%