Air Bubbles In My Buttercream???

Baking By msc2006 Updated 2 Apr 2010 , 11:48pm by mamawrobin

msc2006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msc2006 Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 7:23pm
post #1 of 4

As I'm trying to frost a sheet cake I'm noticing what appears to be air bubbles in my buttercream which is making it hard to get the frosting to look smooth - any on ever had this happen? What did I do wrongicon_confused.gif?

3 replies
JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 11:20pm
post #2 of 4

People have given a lot of tips on here before about this problem. One that I've found helpful is to run my rubber scraper through the frosting before I start putting it on the cake -- kind of swipe the frosting against the side of the bowl with the scraper.

sugar_britches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugar_britches Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 11:45pm
post #3 of 4

I've found it helpful to add a drop or two of water to the buttercream and slowly cream it with a paddle mixer if I find air bubbles in it. Whipping it too fast while mixing creates air bubbles. If you've already frosted the cake, try dipping your spatula, bench scraper or whatever you're using in warm water and smoothing the buttercream with that.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 11:48pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

People have given a lot of tips on here before about this problem. One that I've found helpful is to run my rubber scraper through the frosting before I start putting it on the cake -- kind of swipe the frosting against the side of the bowl with the scraper.

This works very well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%