Wedding Cake Order

Business By chattycakes Updated 3 Apr 2010 , 2:06am by leah_s

chattycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chattycakes Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 7:16pm
post #1 of 8

So I have a lady wanting to order a cake for October 1, 2010, I know I want a deposit I just don't know when I need to ask for it by and what precentage I should require, I also know that I want the cake fully paid for 7 days prior to the Wedding! What do you all require? I'm new to all of this and did a wedding cake last weekend and didn't have the best experience with the bride, she was a bit of a slacker who never really followed through with anything!

7 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 7:25pm
post #2 of 8

Everybody is different, but it is not too early to ask for the deposit now. Most seem to do 50% to hold the date.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 8:47pm
post #3 of 8

7 days before the wedding is NOT enough time.

I require a 50% non-refundable deposit. The other 50% is due 30 days before the wedding.

chattycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chattycakes Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 9:17pm
post #4 of 8

That sounds good, I guess I need to get a cantract made, anyone have any input on where to start on that one?

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 9:22pm
post #5 of 8

Yes, you DEFINITELY need a contract. You can check the cake boss website (not the one from TV) for a sample contract or do a search here on CC. There are many threads about samples of contracts.

It sounds like since you are just starting out that you are not a licensed baker and/or are baking from home. First you should find out if it is even legal in your state to do so.

If this is the case then you need to make sure the bride's venue will even let you deliver the cake there before you agree to make it.

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 9:25pm
post #6 of 8

I have a couple of contracts and order templates in my photos That I have posted so everyone can use them . I f it is hard for you to read them on here just pm me your email and I will send you copies.

Even if it isnt exacly what you are looking for it will give you a good idea of what to include in your contract.

IceMaidenUK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IceMaidenUK Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 10:55pm
post #7 of 8

I ask for a 25% non-refundable deposit and their delivery date is not secure until I receive that deposit. I make this clear to them so its then up to them to pay quickly or risk losing their slot.

I too expect payment 7 days before delivery but i am considering changing this to 14 days as I recently had a cheque bounce ( icon_mad.gif ) on a cake that I had delivered already! I don't always have time to get to the bank straight away so I think 14 days will give more time to ensure cheques are cleared.

HTH

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 2:06am
post #8 of 8

Around here, checks can take 3 weeks to clear. That's why my Paid in Full deadline is 21 days.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%