What A Disaster My Shark Cake Went For A Swim...

Decorating By ttehan4 Updated 7 Apr 2010 , 6:25pm by abeane

ttehan4 Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 6

Well, maybe more of a pain in the butt! I made a really cool 3d shark cake yesterday and I think the heat got the best of it. It started to sink into the water last night. We had a really warm day yesterday in the 70's, but I had the fans going all day and I didn't think it was that warm in the house. My fondant started to sag. It just looked like the shark had fat rolls at first. It would have been fine if it would have stopped. I brought it down to the basement were it was cooler and left it. Well this morning it was a wreck. It had started to crack. I probably could have salvaged it and made it work, but I wouldnt have been happy with it and I didnt want to pawn of crappy work on my customer.

Well, #2 is done! Thank goodness. Its not a hard cake, but it became a pain in my behind this morning.

Its in my photos.

5 replies
2SchnauzerLady Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 6:57pm
post #2 of 6

Good job! Good thing you had time to redo it!

ttehan4 Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 7:15pm
post #3 of 6

Me too! I was planning on having an easy cake day today because I was ahead of schedule. Now I'm behind. Still got to make a wrestling cake. Uggh! Thanks for the nice comment.

miss_sweetstory Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 7:15pm
post #4 of 6

Well done! Think of it this way... JAWS had a sequel.

(Now. I won't be able to get that them music out of my head. Dunt, Dunt, Dunt, Dunt... )

ttehan4 Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 12:39am
post #5 of 6

LOL! There better not be a third. Cake is to be picked up in the morning, they couldnt make it this evening..grrr. There is a small crack forming in the fondant. I'm starting to think that painting it with the alcohol and gel color weakened the fondant some how. It is paper thin where the crack is forming. The air is on and the fan is blowing directly on it all day today. Pray for my cake tonight - I am!

abeane Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 6:25pm
post #6 of 6

Did your shark end up surviving until the pick up? I love the arm in its mouth, nice touch!

Quote by @%username% on %date%