How Would You Do This Cake

Decorating By Ellistwins Updated 9 Apr 2010 , 10:45pm by Debi2

Ellistwins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellistwins Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 3:45pm
post #1 of 20

I must do this weddingcake for tomorrow. My question is, will you stack it at the venue and stick the petails on there as well or how would you do it. I'm scared of breaking petals when stacking them. I thought of stacking them in 2's, transport them and them stack the two sets at the venue and put on the last petals? Please help.
Image[/img][/url][/list]

19 replies
cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 4:13pm
post #2 of 20

that is one gorgeous cake! i haven't yet had to deliver a 4 tier (first one coming up in a couple weeks, yikes!!) so i too am wondering if i will travel with them stacked in 2's and stack them at the venue. i worry about lifting two cakes and trying to place them without damaging the bottom tiers. i think i'm leaning more towards traveling with the bottom 2 stacked and then placing the top 2 each separately.

as far as the decorations, i personally would place the petals on the sides before transporting the cake then place the rest after you stack. be sure to take plenty of extras just in case. hope all goes well icon_smile.gif

bakers2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakers2 Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 4:39pm
post #3 of 20

i always deliver fully stacked - can't decide about the petals - I would probably place them before delivery also but perhaps if they are very fragile I would wait until I got there....

TPACakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPACakeGirl Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 4:46pm
post #4 of 20

I would definetely take some extra petals with you regardless of how you do it. You should always plan ahead for some breakage.

cas17 Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 5:56pm
post #5 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakers2

i always deliver fully stacked - can't decide about the petals - I would probably place them before delivery also but perhaps if they are very fragile I would wait until I got there....

i'm afraid i'm just not that strong. sometimes i have my hubby to help but a lot of times he has to work so it is just me myself and i.

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 6:13pm
post #6 of 20

bakers2, you transport fully stacked? Wow! You are brave! I transported a 3-tier stacked Topsy Turvy wedding cake last night and I just about had a heart attack the entire time. It made it safely though. That's the tallest cake I've ever transported stacked. For the previous 4-tier cakes I've done, I've always transported the bottom 2 stacked and then stacked the top 2 seperately on site. I use SPS and love it, but still can't bring myself to transport a 4-tier stacked with it. How do you transport and stack your cakes?

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 6:20pm
post #7 of 20

If you end up transporting this fully stacked, I would highly suggest running a skewer through the whole thing to help hold it in place during transport.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 6:20pm
post #8 of 20

If it's a four tiered cake I stack the top two and the bottom two and finish stacking at the venue. I can't lift that much weight is why I do it this way though. I would definetely bring along more petals and a repair kit. You can count on having some damaged petals. Beautiful cake btw.

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 6:36pm
post #9 of 20

Double dowel it and it should be fine transported fully stacked. Bring extra petals with you and if some break just replace at the venue.

linstead Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 6:38pm
post #10 of 20

I forgot to say I always find someone (usually a guy!) to help me lift a heavy cake when I get to the venue - have never had a problem finding someone to do that. So if 4 tiers are too heavy for you to lift seek out some help.

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 6:50pm
post #11 of 20

I always transport fully stacked too. I am more scared of putting it together at the venue...I think its just the on lookers.

I would take lots of extra petals.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 7:06pm
post #12 of 20

Doing a cake like this you can put the petals on each tier up to the edges and then save a bunch to place to fill the inbetween spaces at the venue after stacking. I would stack the bottom two tiers and the top two tiers when I got to the venue safely. Then fill in with the extra petals you will have to have with you. Good luck!

dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 2:26am
post #13 of 20

How far do you have to travel? If its within and hour of so,i always travel stacked, i have travel with some 3 1/2 hours, ionly stack the bottom two, then the top three (it was really heavy with only the 2). i definately dowel really well (i use the wilton invisible pillars and trim to the height of the cake. these have a larger diameter and i feel they add more stability,and dowel through the middle, I have recently started using the twist and lock sps system. I used the sps to transport an huge 3 (125 serving) tier topsy turvy 45 miles, no problem.

About the petals, i did a cake similar to this one and delivered it stacked as well, but if you are nervous i agree with an earlier poster about attachng the side petals on the top two, and stacking the bottom two and completely finishing them. this will ease the stress level and last minute work. Good Luck

Ellistwins Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 2:03pm
post #14 of 20

thanks for all your replies. I only got it today, 2 days later as our ISP was off=line on saturday morning. I did stack the bottom 2 tiers and then the op 2 and transported it separate. I assembled it at the venue and then stuck the petals on. Nothing broke on the way there. It is about 37km to the venue and the road was quiet.
I was so fedup for the staff at the venue. Being a wedding venue one would expect better than "feeling if it isn't real petals". I mean how would you feel if I stick my fingers in your food????

Here is the final product. Got a text message from the bride yesterday and she was very thumbs_up.gif I must admit, I'm quite proud of this one and the petal design made it easy to hide "sins".
icon_lol.gif

cas17 Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 2:50pm
post #15 of 20

so glad everything went smoothly with your cake delivery. wow, gorgeous job on the cake icon_biggrin.gif

linstead Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 10:40pm
post #16 of 20

Looks just the the photo - well done!

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 2:13am
post #17 of 20

You did a lovely, lovely job!!!! I'm glad your delivery went smoothly!

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 2:37am
post #18 of 20

wow....beautiful! I want to make one now... icon_smile.gif

Ellistwins Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 5:09am
post #19 of 20

Thank you all.

Debi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 10:45pm
post #20 of 20

Wow...you did a beautiful job! Looks just like the original! Give yourself a big pat on the back icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%