Painting On Fondant

Decorating By TrevorW Updated 4 Apr 2010 , 10:59pm by luddroth

TrevorW Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 1:01pm
post #1 of 16

any secrets or tips for painting fondant? i have been using powdered food coloring and vodka for painting (with a brush - not airbrushing) decorations and patinas on fondant but it never seems to dry - you can rub the color right off. i always end up having to lacquer it. is there some special trick i am missing?

15 replies
Caths_Cakes Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 1:23pm
post #2 of 16

take it slowly, dont overload your brush with 'paint' . You may have to do several coats to get a good build up of colour, i find this the best way, to allow each coat to dry completely before adding the next and build up the colour rather than trying to do it all at once

Kitagrl Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 1:24pm
post #3 of 16

Hi neighbor! Lots of Philly ppl on this board...cool.

Anyway....I think airbrush color dries best (using as paint).... I haven't used powdered color so I am not sure how that works. It seems like, if you use powdered color, once the vodka would evaporate that it would turn back to powder. At least with airbrush color (or even paste diluted with vodka) its still a liquid color that can remain on the surface better.

Someone just sent me a link, too, to a food paint site...called foodazzler. I need to check out their stuff.

luddroth Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 1:32pm
post #4 of 16

There are a couple of spectacular cakes in "most saved" over the past couple days by a CC member who hand-paints gorgeous designs. She said that she uses the same gel colors that most of us use for tinting fondant, gumpaste, etc.

LateBloomer Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 1:39pm
post #5 of 16

I am also new at painting. I recently used vodka and powder colours and it turned out all shiny and took forever to dry. I was told to try the alcohol from chemists?

TexasSugar Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 1:46pm
post #6 of 16

If your area sells it, buy everclear. Some areas aren't allowed to sell it because it is a very high proof alcohol, but I love it cause it evaporates so very fast!

I use mostly airbrush colors for painting myself though.

katies_cakes Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 1:54pm
post #7 of 16

I use gel colours watered down with vodka and iv never had a problem. you only need to use a spot of vodka though, maybe your using too much? iv never painted with the powder colours though, so im probably not much help. sorry

brea1026 Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 2:24pm
post #8 of 16

I always use airbrush color. I don't have to mess with watering it down so the color stays bright and fresh. I love painting with it!

Faffy Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 3:28pm
post #9 of 16

Sorry to butt in but I have a question about coloring fondant too. When I have taken my gel color and added Vodka as suggested then tried to paint my fondant it ALWAYS comes out streaky, and the more coats I add the worse it gets, could someone tell me what I am doing wrong??

TexasSugar Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 3:41pm
post #10 of 16

Do you let it dry between coats?

Faffy Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 4:14pm
post #11 of 16

Yes, I let it dry but it is streaky right from the start.

TrevorW Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 1:40am
post #12 of 16

wow ... it never ceases to amaze me how helpful everyone on this site is. thank you so much.

i use the brush painting mainly for patina work - maybe i am just refrigerating too soon and not letting it dry enough? i've only done six cakes so this is all very new to me. but the powdered colors never fully dry for me - even after hours you can rub it right off with your hand (as i have in moving things)

TrevorW Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 1:44am
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by luddroth

There are a couple of spectacular cakes in "most saved" over the past couple days by a CC member who hand-paints gorgeous designs. She said that she uses the same gel colors that most of us use for tinting fondant, gumpaste, etc.

i was looking but couldn't figure out which CC member you were talking about - who is it?

dguerrant Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 3:35am
post #15 of 16

I use regular gel colors thinned with water

luddroth Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 10:59pm
post #16 of 16

Sorry -- the CC member I was talking about is Suelar. She does amazing painting, and I think she said that she uses gel colors thinned with vodka or everclear and gold dust thinned the same way. Check out her gallery and im her with questions. She's an amazing artist...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%