So Excited - First Large Cake Order!!

Decorating By Sherry1030 Updated 5 Apr 2010 , 12:40pm by Sherry1030

Sherry1030 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sherry1030 Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 12:35pm
post #1 of 9

I'm so excited, I was just asked to make a cake for my daughter's cheer banquet next month!! I have a couple questions - They asked for something 'cake boss-ish' so I'm thinking 3 tiers Topsy Turvy. There will probably be at least 100 people - any advice on what size tiers I should make? I was thinking maybe 10/8/6 with a 1/2 sheet cake base - does that sound do-able? Or would it make more sense to do 12/10/8/6?
My biggest concern is the topper - I want to make a cheerleader figure - what is the best way to do this - gumpaste or modeling chocolate? I need to get practicing!
Oh, and even more concerning is transporting this cake - any advice on that? Would it make sense to assemble at the site rather than try to move it fully assembled?
I'm so excited and nervous at the same time!! Thank God for this site! I appreciate any advice!! I'll be obsessing over this cake til its delivered!
Thanks!!!

8 replies
fabray13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabray13 Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 12:40pm
post #2 of 9

congrats! haven't tried a topsy turvy cake yet, but i would suggest using modeling chocolate for the cheerleader. very easy to work with. also, i would not suggest transporting it stacked unless you use a central support system. i would suggest using the 12/10/8/6 cakes rather than the 1/2 sheet cake. best of luck with it! have fun!!!

Elaine2581 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elaine2581 Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 12:43pm
post #3 of 9

Congratulations on your first big order. I think your ideas are good as far as size and shape. I made a topsy turvy cake for a music recital all of buttercream with fondant accents. It is posted here. I assembled it at home with dowel supports and one down the center. We transported it over some really bumpy roads and the only problem I had was that some of the fondant borders cracked. The wedding cake that I posted was assembled on site so that we didn't have to put in the center dowel. It makes serving and disassembling the cake much easier. I made a camping cake with figures made with a combination of candy clay (modeling chocolate) and fondant with Tylose added. I still need a lot of practice with figures but there are some tutorials posted here I believe. Hope that is all of some help. Enjoy the experience. Caking is Such FUN!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 1:59pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabray13

congrats! haven't tried a topsy turvy cake yet, but i would suggest using modeling chocolate for the cheerleader. very easy to work with. also, i would not suggest transporting it stacked unless you use a central support system. i would suggest using the 12/10/8/6 cakes rather than the 1/2 sheet cake. best of luck with it! have fun!!!

I would also suggest using the 12/10/8/6 cakes rather than the 1/2 sheet. Good luck thumbs_up.gif

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 2:22pm
post #5 of 9

If you have time, I would order the SPS system. It's not that expensive and just pass the cost onto the client. FYI, order more plates and legs than you need for this cake so you have them on hand after you discover how fab this is. Also if you have time Sugar Shacks Topsy Turvy DVD is great. I would recommend using setting ganache under the fondant for extra stability. It works really really well and the cakes don't budge. SS dvd walks you through this and there are also several threads on ganache under fondant here on CC. It made a huge difference in the stability of my first big cake and it's yummy tooicon_smile.gif

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 2:41pm
post #6 of 9

12/10/8/6 serves 100 party servings,138 wedding servings.
If you plan on doing your TT with tapered sides I would suggest providing a sheet cake as well, alot of cake is lost in the carving process.
I deliver assembled cakes all the time, no prob. I use bubble tea straws and a center dowel. I have heard raves about SPS but I'm not sure if it can be used on a TT, maybe someone who knows will chime in.
Good Luck.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 3:40pm
post #7 of 9

As long as the base of each TT Tier is level, then yes you can use SPS.

Sherry1030 Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 9:39pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks so much for your responses! I will definitely look into the SPS system, I've heard/read a lot of good things about it here. Unfortunately I can't add the price to the cake cost because I'm doing it semi-free - they're taking the cost off of my balance due for cheer! I love the idea of using ganache under the fondant - practical and yummy! I'm going to plan on doing a 12/10/8/6 and making some matching cupcakes. They are the Baystate Allstars so I can do some blue and silver stars on those. I would love to get Sharon's dvd - money is tight right now but its at the top of my list! I have 2 graduation cakes and a birthday cake to make the following weekend - should be a breeze after this one! Thanks again for all your input!

Sherry1030 Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 12:40pm
post #9 of 9

So I've decided not to go with topsy turvy and instead make 6/8/10 round tiers with a 12" hex at the bottom, then cupcakes to make up the difference in servings. The bottom tier will be white with edible images of each team and their logo in the middle. The next tier will be royal blue with glittery silver stars. The next will be white with gumpaste cheer bows. The top will be blue with 2D cheerleaders. Then I'm hoping to make a chocolate trophy at the top (hoping there is a mold for this somewhere!). I'm going to make little white cheer shoes. And also the glitter silver stars on wires.. I've posted the sketch in my gallery but was unable to upload it here.. My drawing stinks, but its the general idea.. Is this 'cake boss-ish' enough?? If only I could make it spin.. I also need to figure out a way to get the coaches on the cake..
Also, hate to ask, but any ideas what to charge for this cake? Its only coming off my bill but I think I'm going to be putting out a good chunk for this cake!
Sorry for rambling! Thanks so much for all your help!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%