funpets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funpets Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 3:07am
post #1 of 6

my cakes dries out quikly b4 am able to frost it

5 replies
dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 4:07am
post #2 of 6

This is what I have done for years: Take the cake out of the oven and let cool 10-15 minutes in the pan (do not level when it is hot or warm), after the 10-15 minutes, wrap the cake in plastic wrap and place in the fridge or freezer (I leave mine in the fridge over night, but in a rush, I put it in the freezer for a few hours. This locks in all the moisture before it is allowed to evaporate from the cake. Once chilled, level the cakes and frost. Happy Baking icon_smile.gif this also makes the cake more dense and holds up well to fondant .

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 4:33am
post #3 of 6

Exactly why I always freeze my cakes.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 4:47am
post #4 of 6

Original thread on wrapping hot/warm cakes with both pros/cons:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-610054-.html

After baking and cooling your cake layers, it's necessary to either crumb coat or wrap them in plastic cling wrap in order to prevent staling. As has been said, if you want to work on them much later (several days or more) wrap again and place in either freezer bags or wrap in foil and freeze.

If you are already crumb coating or wrapping your cooled layers in plastic cling wrap, then the problem might be over baking in the oven and not drying out on the counter. A properly baked cake will remain fresh and moist for at least 3-5 days.

Providing more info on your baking and cooling techniques and your baking/decorating timeline would be helpful.

HTH

HTH

funpets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funpets Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 4:42am
post #5 of 6

thanx for coming throu. my other thing is that i have heard of sugar syrup i dont know if any one uses it?

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 4:46am
post #6 of 6

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%