How Long Does A Cake Stay Fresh?

Decorating By vanki Updated 2 Apr 2010 , 5:46pm by Mikel79

vanki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vanki Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 1:54am
post #1 of 10

Hi everyone.
I am making a surprise birthday cake for my dad and would like to make it on friday and have the party on sunday. Will the cake stay fresh for two days? I usually make my cakes the day before an event so they will taste the freshest. It will be a chocolate cake and be covered in MMF. I really want it to taste delicious!!!

9 replies
saapena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saapena Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 2:20am
post #2 of 10

If you make it on Friday and serve it on Sunday, it will be fine. Just be sure you allow the cake to settle overnight on Friday so you don't have any issues with bulges.

HTH

Sheryl

MJoycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJoycake Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 2:20am
post #3 of 10

It should be fine. I don't know about your chocolate recipe, but mine stays moist and fresh a long while. Baking Friday for a Sunday party it should be great.

vanki Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 4:37am
post #4 of 10

Thanks so much! And MMF will not harden? and while we are on the topic, what is the absolute earliest that a cake can be made ahead of time?

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 2:24pm
post #5 of 10

My understanding is that it should be eaten by the 4th day. No, once the fondant is on the cake, it will remain soft. I make and freeze ahead of time and will decorate up to 4 days in advance if I KNOW the cake will be eaten that day. But usually I only decorate 2 days in advance.

Faffy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Faffy Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 3:32pm
post #6 of 10

Cakesrock do you put you fondant covered cake in the fridge once decorated? I am doing my first covered fondant cake in a few weeks and am wondering about the storage of it since I will be making it one day in advance of the party.

MJoycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJoycake Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 4:02pm
post #7 of 10

you only need to refrigerate cake if you're using a perishable filling. Otherwise, just leave it on the counter. If you have any gumpaste/fondant decorations on it and you need to put it in the fridge because of a perishable filling DO NOT refrigerate the decorations - they'll go a bit soft and droopy because of the moisture in the fridge. Likewise, if you're leaving it out, you can put it in a cake box, but I wouldn't store it in an airtight plastic container.

vanki Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 5:06pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks so much!

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 5:32pm
post #9 of 10

It depends on ur recipe - mine is good at least 5 days.
xx

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 5:46pm
post #10 of 10

I made a cake for my neighbor 2 weeks ago. I baked it on Monday, Iced Tuesday and delivered it Wednesday.

I went out to eat with her 1 week later and she told me she and the family was still eating it?????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! After picking my mouth off the floor, I asked her was it still fresh? She said ABSOLYTELY!!!

I could not belive it! It has been at least 7 days since I DELIVERED it, not baked it. She kept it in the cake box on the counter??..

I use the WASC found on this site. I am by no means recommending this schedule. However, I thought I would share.

Thanks

=)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%