Cake Boards, What Do You Use?

Decorating By prbakingmama Updated 3 Apr 2010 , 3:02pm by 2txmedics

prbakingmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prbakingmama Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 12:53am
post #1 of 9

Hello everyone! I'm a newbie to cc. I'm interested in knowing what do you all use to cover your cake boards and why. I have seen some really interesting colors and patterns here and I'm really curious.

Thanks in advance for your responses! icon_biggrin.gif

8 replies
poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 1:09am
post #2 of 9

I like to match a wrapping paper to the color scheme. I cover the board with wrapping paper and then cover that with clear contact paper. Next, using double sided tape, I stick a plain cake board to the contact-paper-covered board so the cake doesn't actually touch the plastic.

I think fondant covered boards look very elegant, but I work in buttercream, so the paper works for me.

Just one idea; let's hear some more.

Christen99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christen99 Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 1:19am
post #3 of 9

I just made one today actually. I used 3 cakeboards, and glued them together. I glued some scrapbook paper to the board, and then attached ribbon to the side of the boards to hide the cardboard because the paper wasn't big enough to extend over the sides of the cakeboard. After all of that, I covered the entire thing with a layer of plastic wrap.

I'm making a treasure chest cake for my little guy, and I couldn't find any wrapping paper I liked to match. I found some scrapbook paper yesterday that is covered in antique keys, and I thought it would be cute since he is obsessed with treasure chests, locks, and keys.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 1:21am
post #4 of 9

Cake drums. Easy.

dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 4:14am
post #5 of 9

I'm afraid of the plastic wrap and cellophane that some use (especially when cutting, choking hazard?), I always purchase the waxed or grease proof ones, but sometimes I have to use the plain ones and I cover them with waxed paper.

dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 4:16am
post #6 of 9

I'm afraid of the plastic wrap and cellophane that some use (especially when cutting, choking hazard?), I always purchase the waxed or grease proof ones, but sometimes I have to use the plain ones and I cover them with waxed paper.

eccl1-12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eccl1-12 Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 5:58am
post #7 of 9

I am an already addicted newbie here, not an expert, but I just recently read I think in 'Cakes to Dream On' by Collete Peters (great book) you can buy 1/2 inch foamcore. I got some at Michaels. She uses it because it is pretty strong yet light, so it doesn't make your cake heavier to transport. Also if you have to put a dowel through the cake, a sharpened dowel will puncture through the thinner ones between the tiers and stick into the thick one at the bottom. Thats all paraphrased but it seems like an easy and great plan to me. I am going to cover mine with a layer of fondant and decorate it somehow to match the cake.

kakedreamer1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedreamer1212 Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 6:27am
post #8 of 9

1/2 inch foamcore also. I double up on it. I use to use Wilton cakeboards but was having to use 3 just to get the board strong enough to support my cake and it just seemed like I was spending to much for them so I switched to the foamcore and get more for the money. As far as covering the boards, I use floral foil, I've tried wrapping paper covered with cellophane in the past but found that when the cake is cut, the cellophane gets cut too and can end up in the cake.

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 3:02pm
post #9 of 9

Ive dd two cakes that I used just plain wilton cake boards, cakes werent heavy and then I airbrushed one board, its my Yellow rose cake here, and then the other board was sheer accident....lol....it was a wooden board, and it was covered in just plain foil paper, it was a cake for the family....so I got icing, BC and just covered the bottom of the board....it was my spiderman cake , the very first one I did....
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%