Tie Dye Buttercream

Decorating By adoubleen Updated 7 Apr 2010 , 4:01pm by TexasSugar

adoubleen Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 11:10pm
post #1 of 10

I am brand new at decorating, and so i'm getting my practice in on all my friends and family members birthdays.
I work exclusively with buttercream right now and know all the basics.

so my question is does anyone have ideas of how i could do a tie dye cake in buttercream? my boyfriend loves tie dye and i'd really like to do this for him.

9 replies
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 11:51pm
post #2 of 10

This won't exactly give you a tie-dyed effect, but more of a marbled effect. You'll want to base your cake in white and then before it's crusted, pipe a few random strings around the cake in different colors. Then, using your scraper, smooth over the cake again. This will blend the colors into the white. You could of course use any color for a base.

2txmedics Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 2:45pm
post #3 of 10

I would let my cake crust good, I have a very good crusting recipe that I got on here, once it does.....

I would get different colors of BC thinned out....almost like RI texture...and then I would get a sponge or foam and just put it into the BC color and at different angles just spolotch on the cake, and then the next color I would do the same but leave a small space not touching the other color, so that I can get a paint brush and from the center of the first color sweep out to give it that splattered look into the next colors....

???? maybe??? just thinking how tye dye works.

Eisskween Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 3:17pm
post #5 of 10

What I would do would be to draw your swirls, then take a paint brush and like brush embroidery, pull from the center out.

Here's a pic for inspiration.

Beckup Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 11:58pm
post #6 of 10

I airbrush a spiral rainbow on my cake & before is dries, I pull a spatula thru the airbrushed colors.[/img]

If photo doesn't show, Here is a link.

leepat Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 12:35am
post #7 of 10

I ice the cake in bands of the color I am using I then drag a toothpick through the colors and smooth and this is what I end up with.

2txmedics Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 2:29pm
post #8 of 10

Beck, that is an awesome cake and a wonderful Idea!!!! I went to your facebook and sent a request also....thanks for sharing.

adoubleen Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 3:45pm
post #9 of 10

thanks for all the ideas!! i think i can definitely make it work

TexasSugar Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 4:01pm
post #10 of 10

If I was to do tie day I think I would do it like this cake I did only using more colors. I iced it white, then just smeared a little bit of the green icing in places then spread it around. I would use a base color of either white then use two or three different colors. Don't put them too close together, but you want to be able to spread and blend in to the edges of each other a little.

Quote by @%username% on %date%