[email protected] Cake Day

Decorating By AKS Updated 6 May 2010 , 10:19pm by Moondance

AKS Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 8:38pm
post #1 of 13

So I had two cakes to do today (anniversary cake for parents and b'day for friend), and uuuggghhh! My friend's came out good enough-just ordinary. Nutella buttercream with red velvet cake, pink Happy B'day message, two-tone border with 1M tip-pretty enough-looks like a generic cake. My parents' cake was supposed to be three tiered-it became two tiers-uh huh-that kind of day. Bottom tier is bcream with two-toned sugar tiles- looked good. then came the second tier. Two stacked 4" tiers, covered in choc modeling paste-don't ask-covered with #31 tip shells in white with white bow and sugar brooch. Basically it looks like a marshmallow igloo gone horribly wrong. Days like this make me shake my head and wonder if all this is worth it-I'm a hobbyist. An obsessed hobbyist, but a hobbyist none the less. All this money and energy and UHHH- just a [email protected] day. icon_cry.gif

12 replies
KHalstead Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 8:48pm
post #2 of 13

Be glad for 2 things:

1. They weren't for paying customers

2. They weren't someone's wedding cake!! lol

I've had days like this and scenario 1 and 2 were in play!! Now that's a TERRIBLE cake day!!

AKS Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 9:00pm
post #3 of 13

Thanks, K. I know-I'm just a perfectionist. Before my last posted photo, I hadn't posted for a few years because I can't look at my cakes without seeing imperfections. I'm crazy like that. That's also why I won't go into business. I feel like if my work is not perfect I can't, in good conscience, take money from people. I've seen some real cake wrecks that people charge money for, I just can't do it-even if the cakes are good because they aren't up to my standards of good. The ironic thing is that my kid came home from school today and the first thing she said was, "woah-those are so pretty!" To me they are un-postable. icon_cool.gif Oh, well, moving on to cake another day...

Kitagrl Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 3:44am
post #4 of 13

Must be going around! Today was a horrid cake day for me.

Topsy turvy cake...I cut the "turvy" a bit too extreme. A bit too extreme for the customer requesting PUDDING as filling, as a matter of fact...*Sigh*

Plus its beautiful outside...well...warm and humid...my icing came out too soft, I made it wrong....

My cake does NOT look like the picture I was working from....my gold paint was not very neatly done. And my bottom two tiers are settling some which has never really happened before but due to the soft icing under the fondant, and the pudding...and cakes being at an incline...no wonder! I'm kicking, absolutely kicking, myself for allowing the customer to order pudding filling in a topsy turvy cake.

I have two dowels down through the center but I dunno...looks like maybe a few of my supports in the bottom tier may have been not put in quite right because I'm seeing some effects of the weight of the middle tier on the bottom.

Sometimes I feel like I've really come a long way in the "cake world" and then a day like this and I feel like I really can't do this anymore.... I'm really scared to find out how the cake makes it tomorrow....customer transport, no less. *sigh*

So...it must be going around today!

KHalstead Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 11:59am
post #5 of 13

oh Kitagrl I would have told the customer 'uh................NO' to pudding in a TT cake, you're braver than me!!

Kitagrl Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 12:57pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

oh Kitagrl I would have told the customer 'uh................NO' to pudding in a TT cake, you're braver than me!!

Nope you're just smarter. icon_smile.gif I wasn't even thinking!!!! I didn't think until I put the second tier on at a slant and then I was like "Oh NO. This was stupid."

Therefore I am now absolutely stressed about this cake and will be until it gets delivered (picked up? She planned a pickup but I'm trying to arrange a last minute delivery instead) and eaten.

It doesn't look as neat and clean as I like either. thumbsdown.gif

HanneD Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 2:18pm
post #7 of 13

The good thing is, your parents will still love you, course they know how much effort, love, time and good will you invested in their cake.

Be happy and enjoy their BIG day with them.

KHalstead Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 2:22pm
post #8 of 13

I only allow buttercream or ganache as a filling for TT cakes lol. I don't even have the OPTION of pudding for ANY cakes......that stuff is so slippery!! Of course I can't have anything that requires refrigeration under cottage laws anyhow (that's my excuse to why they can't have it LOL)

marisanovy Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 2:31pm
post #9 of 13

Kitagrl, been there, done that. LOL

Never again!!! My topsy turvy (my first TT), lets say, it did topsy down. icon_sad.gif

I still feel so embarrassed by my poor work (and judgement).

Really bad cake day that day.

One more lesson learned.

idgalpal Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 2:35pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:

I totally agree with K. I 'm also just a hobbiest, but if I think someone is asking for something that doesn't make sense, or won't work I have NO problem telling them, but I always have another suggestion or two for them also.

Kitagrl Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 4:06pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by idgalpal

Quote:

I totally agree with K. I 'm also just a hobbiest, but if I think someone is asking for something that doesn't make sense, or won't work I have NO problem telling them, but I always have another suggestion or two for them also.

I usually do...I never allow fillings in 3D cakes. I just wasn't thinking. SIGH. If I had been thinking ahead I would have even emailed her to change from pudding but I just have so much on my mind it didn't even dawn on me until I was actually stacking the cakes.

tarheelgirl Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 4:38pm
post #12 of 13

Sending you all tons of good caking vibes............... thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Moondance Posted 6 May 2010 , 10:19pm
post #13 of 13

Can you tell me whatis the 'pudding' that you put in cakes please

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%