First Stacked Cake...whew!

Decorating By shlee111 Updated 2 Apr 2010 , 12:00pm by KHalstead

shlee111 Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 7:50pm
post #1 of 10

Next time I won't volunteer so quickly to do a friend's wedding cake! I am totally an amateur. I have all of the cakes baked, now just have to stack and ice. The icing shouldn't be too hard, just swiss dots, but the bride's mom is coming at noon tomorrow. I'm a bit anxious about getting it all done in the AM.

Two questions:
1. Why am I getting a hard crust on my cakes? I used original WASC recipe.
2. How do you wrap your cakes for freezing, without cracking them. I don't have a method to get the saran around them all the way.

My hat is off to all of you PROS on here!

9 replies
KHalstead Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 8:08pm
post #2 of 10

why are you waiting until tomorrow morning to do the cakes??? I fully decorate all my cakes before I go to bed the day before they're due! Don't leave anything til' the very last minute..........especially if you're not a seasoned pro!

sillywabbitz Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 8:15pm
post #3 of 10

If you're afraid of cakes breaking when you wrap them, do it the same way you get them on a cooling wrack. Lay cake on cooling rack A. Cover top with saran wrap - just lay across the top, place cooling rack b on top and flip them together. Now cake is sitting on saran wrap and you can just wrap it around easily.

Hope that helps. As for the crust do you use the sprays to grease your pans? I used to get very crusty sides and edges when I used the spray. Now I use the homemade cake release, equal parts shortening, vegetable oil and flour. Mix it all up and apply to pan with a pastry brush. Works great and it's cheapicon_smile.gif

shlee111 Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 8:16pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

why are you waiting until tomorrow morning to do the cakes??? I fully decorate all my cakes before I go to bed the day before they're due! Don't leave anything til' the very last minute..........especially if you're not a seasoned pro!

The wedding isn't till Saturday night, will it be OK to decorate this early?

mamawrobin Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 8:17pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:

I totally agree! Ya better get to working on that cake icon_lol.gif I would level, crumb coat and ice a.s.a.p. and decorate TODAY. I have a birthday cake due Saturday at 2:00 and I'm fixing to crumb coat and ice that cake today. Tomorrow I will cover it with fondant and decorate. KHlstead is right "don't leave ANYTHING til' the very last minute......ESPECIALLY if you're not a seasoned pro"). Believe me you'll thank her for that very wise advise icon_wink.gif

shlee111 Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 8:24pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:

I totally agree! Ya better get to working on that cake icon_lol.gif I would level, crumb coat and ice a.s.a.p. and decorate TODAY. I have a birthday cake due Saturday at 2:00 and I'm fixing to crumb coat and ice that cake today. Tomorrow I will cover it with fondant and decorate. KHlstead is right "don't leave ANYTHING til' the very last minute......ESPECIALLY if you're not a seasoned pro"). Believe me you'll thank her for that very wise advise icon_wink.gif

Good, that will make me sleep better tonight!

shlee111 Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 8:28pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

If you're afraid of cakes breaking when you wrap them, do it the same way you get them on a cooling wrack. Lay cake on cooling rack A. Cover top with saran wrap - just lay across the top, place cooling rack b on top and flip them together. Now cake is sitting on saran wrap and you can just wrap it around easily.

Hope that helps. As for the crust do you use the sprays to grease your pans? I used to get very crusty sides and edges when I used the spray. Now I use the homemade cake release, equal parts shortening, vegetable oil and flour. Mix it all up and apply to pan with a pastry brush. Works great and it's cheapicon_smile.gif

Thanks, that is how I wrap them, but with the 16 in size I just can't control it very well. Practice I guess!

I'm using Wilton's Cake Release. All of the cakes had a crust, but I think I overcooked one of the small 9" ones which made it extra crusty. Next time I may try making my own cake release. Thanks!

KHalstead Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 8:39pm
post #8 of 10

If the cake isn't due until Saturday, then you don't necessarily have to decorate. I would definitely fill and crumb coat it today and then wrap in plastic wrap and let it rest until tomorrow (that will help get rid of any bulges where the filling is.......even if there is NO filling, you'll still get one from the icing between the layers)

prepare all your cake boards and everything too (that stuff is a PAIN to worry about when you should be decorating!)

To get rid of that crust you can lightly brush the tops and sides with a simple syrup (equal parts of water adn sugar, heat in microwave just until sugar dissolves completely, let cool and brush onto the cake with a pastry brush)

shlee111 Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 9:05pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:

To get rid of that crust you can lightly brush the tops and sides with a simple syrup (equal parts of water adn sugar, heat in microwave just until sugar dissolves completely, let cool and brush onto the cake with a pastry brush)

Great trick!

If the cake will be fine for a Saturday wedding, I'm going to ice tonight just to be on the safe side. Or, like you said, I'll get it ALL ready to decorate.

KHalstead Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 12:00pm
post #10 of 10

I always bake on Wednesdays (sometimes on Tues. too if I have a LOT of cakes to bake), fill and crumb coat on Thurs. Decorate on Fri. Deliver on Sat.!! The cakes will be fine! I've never had a dry cake~

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%