Homemade Gumpaste

Baking By mindy1204 Updated 1 Apr 2010 , 7:12pm by Texas_Rose

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 4:39pm
post #1 of 7

Today I bought glucose and knox gelatin to make my own gumpaste. I am almost out of satin ice so before buying more I figured I would try and make my own.

Which is the best recipe?

TIA

6 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 5:05pm
post #2 of 7

Everyone raves about Nicholas Lodge's receipe but I can't ever find tylose and the receipe calls for it. I make one that I found in the receipes on cc.

mindy1204 Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 5:48pm
post #3 of 7

What recipe do you use? I would love to try Nicholas Lodge but I can find tylose locally either

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 5:57pm
post #4 of 7

4 cups sifted powdered sugar (reserve 1 cup)
1 TBSP Gum-Tex
1 TBSP Glucose
4 TBSP water

Pour water in large bowl and add glucose slowly. Stir until it dissolves.(may use microwave) add sugar and gum-tex. Mix well and let sit overnight. Knead in remaining cup of powdered sugar in the morning. Sometimes I have to add powdered sugar just a little at a time until it's not sticky.

I found this in receipes on this site but didn't write down who it belongs to.
Good luck and hope it works for you.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 6:42pm
post #5 of 7

That's the basic Wilton recipe.

Tylose is worth ordering online if humidity is an issue where you live. I can get tylose locally, but I would order it online otherwise. It's that much better than gumtex.

mindy1204 Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 7:09pm
post #6 of 7

I am in Florida so humidity is always an issue here. What about the recipe with Knox Gelatin and glucose is that one good for humidity?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 7:12pm
post #7 of 7

I haven't tried it. I've tried the Wilton recipe and premade Satin Ice and they don't do well for me, but the Nicholas Lodge recipe or tylose added to fondant both work well with the humidity here.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%