Royal Icing Cracking

Decorating By blondmary Updated 1 Apr 2010 , 4:01pm by blondmary

blondmary Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 2:03pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone!
I need big help here. I'm trying to to make a handle made out of royal icing to put on an Easter cake, to resemble a basket (there's lost of pics on the gallery of this kind of cake). The handle has become a nightmare!!!!! the royal icing is not drying. I was thinking of doing two half and then attach them together with more royal icing. Every time I want to lift the one side I breaks onto million pieces. I'm I doing something wrong?? Can anyone please help.. thank you!!!!

PS. the cake is for Sunday of course and I'm afraid that this thing won't dry on time... I'm i right?

5 replies
2SchnauzerLady Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 2:25pm
post #2 of 6

How long are you letting the handle dry before you pick it up?

blondmary Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 2:34pm
post #3 of 6

I left it 24 hrs. should I leave it longer???

TexasSugar Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 2:48pm
post #4 of 6

Depending on how thick the piping is it could need up to 48 hours. It is one of those things that you really want to make sure is dry. Also it is something where you have to peal the backing off up, rather than peal it off the backing, if that makes sense.

Royal icing can be fragile, depending on what you are doing with it.

Making a gumpaste handle could be a back up plan for ya.

LeckieAnne Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 3:54pm
post #5 of 6

Whimsical Bakehouse has a tutorial how to make one from chocolate. Do you have or can you get any candy melts? They can be colored with candy colors to match whatever you're doing:

blondmary Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 4:01pm
post #6 of 6

well, I just a new batch and new handles, I'm going to let them dry till Saturday... thank you so much for the link to Whimsical bakehouse.. i had forgotten about it and I'm also making the chocolate handles as well just in case.

Thank you so much girls!

Quote by @%username% on %date%