Looking For A Very "coconutty" Cake Recipe

Baking By drakegore Updated 8 Apr 2010 , 11:24pm by drakegore

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 1:54pm
post #1 of 11

i have been using the really good shubox coconut cake recipe which uses coco lopez, but it just doesn't have a strong enough coconut taste for what i am working on now. i either need to find the best way to ramp up the coconut flavor or find a new recipe.

so many of the coconut cake recipes i run across get their coconut flavor from the frosting or from heaping coconut onto the frosting...both are great ways, but i need my coconut flavor in the cake.

does anyone have a really flavorful coconut cake recipe to recommend?

thank you!
diane

10 replies
PTBUGZY1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PTBUGZY1 Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 2:04pm
post #2 of 11

check out the 'coconut cream cake with pineapple filling' in the recipe section. I found it to be very nice. icon_smile.gif

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 2:17pm
post #3 of 11

Does your recipe have coconut extract? If not, that would amp up the flavor.

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 3:01pm
post #4 of 11

I have always liked this recipe. Even though there is coconut in the icing, there is lots in the cake. It makes a really moist dense cake, with a good coconut taste. You might be able to add the coco lopez as part of the liquid and also some coconut flavoring.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Rave-Reviews-Coconut-Cake/Detail.aspx

hth

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 3:19pm
post #5 of 11

Meh, I make my regular white cake, throw in several handfuls of toasted coconut and a teaspoon of coconut flavoring. Easy. Yummy.

drakegore Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 3:10pm
post #6 of 11

leah,
would you mind telling me what your favorite white cake recipe is?
thanks!
diane

TamathaV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamathaV Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 7:36pm
post #7 of 11

Diane - Maybe try adding some coconut flavored Torani style syrup?

KKristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKristy Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 10:42pm
post #8 of 11

Diane,
I'm trying to find a good, moist coconut cake too (for cupcakes)...I just tried Ina Garten's Coconut cake...it was okay, but not moist at all and not especially flavorful....I will let you know if I find one that is more acceptable.
Kristy

ArtieTs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ArtieTs Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 10:59pm
post #9 of 11

I've been using the Magnolia Bakery Vanilla Cake and replacing the milk with canned coconut milk & grated coconut. It's my standard vanilla cupcake recipe now & an easy one to alter on flavorings by using different coffee creamers.

sweettoothmom1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom1 Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 11:06pm
post #10 of 11

I've found this one to be one of the best so far. after you mix it all together, if you need more flavor, just add the flavoring.
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7350/coconut-cake

drakegore Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 11:24pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettoothmom1

I've found this one to be one of the best so far. after you mix it all together, if you need more flavor, just add the flavoring.
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7350/coconut-cake

i just baked this one a few hours ago! it smells heavenly but it is still cooling so i haven't tasted it yet. i will report back icon_smile.gif.

diane

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%