What Makes A Cake "velvet"

Decorating By RubiPumps Updated 3 Apr 2010 , 4:24pm by chefjess819

RubiPumps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RubiPumps Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 1:36pm
post #1 of 16

I love red velvet cake but I'm seeing recipes for chocolate "velvet" and white "velvet". I always thought that the "velvet" had something to do with the ingredients, i.e. the buttermilk, vinegar combination. The majority of these other flavor "velvets" do not have those ingredients which leads me to believe that it refers to the texture. Does anyone have any thoughts on this and can you share your white or chocolate versions of a "velvet" cake?

Thanks,
Sheila aka RubiPumps

15 replies
LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 2:49pm
post #2 of 16

Well, can't help you - but that's what I thought too.

I also see a lot of "red velvet" recipes that don't include the buttermilk/vinegar combination - and I wouldn't call them a velvet cake either.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 3:10pm
post #3 of 16

I always thought it referred to the texture! Red velvet cake has a distinctly different texture than other cakes..........haven't personally tried the white or choc. velvet cakes but just hearing the word "velvet" after cake.sounds divine!! lol

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 3:16pm
post #4 of 16

ditto ^^^^ I guess the tweaked ones are not really velevet lol... dunno, I always make red velvet but have been wanting to try and make the white velvet... I hope debi or leah give us the answer... lol if anyonw knows... it's one of them!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 6:03pm
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalis4joe

ditto ^^^^ I guess the tweaked ones are not really velevet lol... dunno, I always make red velvet but have been wanting to try and make the white velvet... I hope debi or leah give us the answer... lol if anyonw knows... it's one of them!

The white velvet is absolutely delicious. I make it quite often. You shoud go ahead and give it a try and let me know what ya think icon_wink.gif

RubiPumps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RubiPumps Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 3:52pm
post #6 of 16

Thanks everyone! Mamawrobin will you share the white velvet recipe you're talking about? Is it here on cakecentral?

AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 3:54pm
post #7 of 16

This is so funny that you should bring this up. I was wondering if white velvet cake was the same as red velvet without the food color. )I should add that I was wondering this as I was cursing while trying to clean up red batter from my kitchen! icon_mad.gif)

mamawrobin Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 5:15pm
post #8 of 16

No...white velvet is not the same as red velvet w/o the red food coloring icon_lol.gif . The White Velvet Cake receipe that I use is found here on cc. It is one of the best white cakes I've ever made. I'm sorry I can't remember who's receipe it is but it is really good. It calls for white chocolate instant pudding and International coffee White Mocha Chocolate coffee creamer....if you have any trouble finding it in receipes pm me and I will send you the receipe.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 7:23pm
post #9 of 16

I will be trying the white velvet... let's hope I find it lol... I am kinda loose in the head when it comes to doing a cc search lol

badkitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
badkitty Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 7:34pm
post #10 of 16

This looks like the one...it sounds wonderful!

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/15190/white-velvet-cake

mamaof3cutiez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamaof3cutiez Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 8:04pm
post #11 of 16

does anyone how well this recipe would work for a carved cake? thanks! icon_smile.gif

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 8:28pm
post #12 of 16

it might have just been me and the fact that i had already carved 2 other cakes that evening, but the red velvet cake completely fell apart when i tried to carve it. i tried to put a crumb coat on it and all it did was crumble off as i iced it. this lead to me having to bake a butter cake at 10 pm and carve/ice/fondant it around midnight. personally, i will never try to carve a velvet cake again. JMO.

mamaof3cutiez Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 8:34pm
post #13 of 16

icon_surprised.gif thanks for the heads up! I think I'll use a tried & true recipe for carving then and save this one for next time! Thanks again!

mamawrobin Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 11:30pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaof3cutiez

icon_surprised.gif thanks for the heads up! I think I'll use a tried & true recipe for carving then and save this one for next time! Thanks again!

The white velvet cake holds up very well for carving. It's probably one of the denser cakes I've ever made. Red velvet however IS a different story.

mamaof3cutiez Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 11:33pm
post #15 of 16

mamawrobin~
thanks! I'll give it a try on a "family" cake and see how it works! can't wait to try it! it sounds delicious! icon_smile.gif

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 4:24pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaof3cutiez

The white velvet cake holds up very well for carving. It's probably one of the denser cakes I've ever made. Red velvet however IS a different story.

ok...so i'm not the only one who couldn't get that to work. lol. makes me feel better about myself. i will have to try the white velvet next time. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%