Forgot To Put My Leftover Smbc In The Freezer!!

Decorating By tsal Updated 4 Apr 2010 , 12:57am by bettinashoe

tsal Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 12:26pm
post #1 of 7

I made some SMBC last Saturday. I forgot to put it in the freezer. Can I do so now or do I have to throw it out?

Also, I have a cake due on Saturday, if I freeze it now (given that's still a possibility), when do I take it out if I want to decorate Saturday morning?

6 replies
mamawrobin Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 12:35pm
post #2 of 7

It's five days old right? It is suppose to be good for a week. If you freeze it now I would think it should be okay. I've only been making SMBC for a few weeks so I would like to know myself. But I would say since you still have a couple of days before it's "expired" you should be able to freeze it and use it. Assuming that it's been refrigerated since Saturday. icon_smile.gif

luddroth Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 12:39pm
post #3 of 7

No, don't freeze it. It will be fine for Saturday. Let it come to room temp and then beat it again until it's right for spreading. If it separates, just keep beating. I've kept SMBC in the refrigerator, in airtight containers, for well over a week with no problem. It's mostly butter, stabilized with cooked egg whites. It's good in the fridge for almost as long as butter is good in the fridge.

mamawrobin Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 2:14pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by luddroth

No, don't freeze it. It will be fine for Saturday. Let it come to room temp and then beat it again until it's right for spreading. If it separates, just keep beating. I've kept SMBC in the refrigerator, in airtight containers, for well over a week with no problem. It's mostly butter, stabilized with cooked egg whites. It's good in the fridge for almost as long as butter is good in the fridge.

Thank you so much for posting this! I cannot tell you how much SMBC I've thrown out that tasted fine to me but because I've been told to toss it after a week. This is good to know as I always make more than I need. I was wondering why it wouldn't be good for longer than a week if it was kept airtight in the fridge. Thank you...thank you thumbs_up.gif

luddroth Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 4:04pm
post #5 of 7

Well, you're welcome! I don't think I've poisoned anybody with it yet (but I'm not selling to the public -- I just use family and friends as victims -- and myself!). I have thrown it out when it seems that the consistency, even after it's whipped again, just doesn't want to work properly. But it takes a lot more than a week for that to happen....

tsal Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 12:41am
post #6 of 7

Thanks!! icon_smile.gif

I'm happy I didn't have to throw it out.

bettinashoe Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 12:57am
post #7 of 7

If you tightly double wrap the cake it should freeze with no problem. I would take it out of the freezer a few hours before you plan to decorate. I often freeze cakes for a few days, up to a week, before decorating. Interestingly, I had a customer who had ordered a birthday cake and called the day of the party to say the party was delayed. She asked if I could freeze the cake for her which I did, telling her I couldn't guarantee the freshness. Well, three weeks later she picked up the cake for the rescheduled party. She came in yesterday and said the cake was perfect and tasted like it had just been baked. I wouldn't recommend a three week freeze, but I was pleased to know that the cake would hold up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%