My Daughter Just Got Engaged! Any Ideas For Filipino Wedding

Lounge By JaimeAnn Updated 22 Jul 2013 , 9:31pm by bagul

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 7:29am
post #1 of 11

Well my baby girl just got "officailly" engaged to a great guy. The date is set for 5/7/2011 , so I have time for planning.

It will be a large outdoor wedding. With a BBQ reception. Approximately 150 people at my house. Luckily I live way up in the mountains with no neighbors. hahahahah

My daughters fiance was born in the Philipines and he came to the U.S. when he was 13. His family is traditional Filipino & Catholic . We are not. He has said he just wants my daughter to have whatever she wants but I would like to incorporate some things from his background also since a lot of the guests will be his family. I want them to all feel like they are a part of it and I would like to bring his culture into the fold.

If anyone knows of any ideas, or even food suggestions, I would appreciate the input.

The groom and groomsmen will be wearing traditional Barong Tagalog but so far that is all we have.

Thanks,

JaimeAnn

10 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 12:09pm
post #3 of 11

I don't have any advice for the wedding, but wanted to tell you congratulations! icon_smile.gif

JanH has posted lots of links, I don't know how she does what she does! I am betting you can find what you need in there. icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 12:25pm
post #4 of 11

Just wanted to say congratulations! Jan is good isn't she. If I ever need information on anything she will be the first one I contact icon_smile.gif

JaimeAnn Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 6:40pm
post #5 of 11

Thanks Jan!!!!

You are a robot super computer aren't you. You were created in some laboratory by Einstien. I am on to you I know your secret! hahahahahahah

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 7:01pm
post #6 of 11

Well I know one thing for sure....Phillapinos have huge weddings, baptisms etc and the cake is always big so...make it big Mama...

Congratulations!!!

JaimeAnn Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 9:55pm
post #7 of 11

Oh it is gonna be HUGE!!!!! I am going to be working on that monster for months.... ahahhahaahah

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 5:47pm
post #8 of 11

I do not know the customs, but many Asian weddings have a betrothal before the wedding. You may want to check and have this tradition followed too, or have it as part of her wedding.

My daughter married a Vietnamese man and we had the betrothal before the wedding, It was a gathering of the family and a tea ceremony. They wore the traditional dress. Served roast pig and champagne, spring rolls and other dishes.

At the wedding we had both Asian and American food and our decorations reflected both cultures. I made a cake similar to the Asian cake on Scott Woolley's website.

The part I liked best was cutting the shape of bamboo leaves from beautiful green paper, writing the guest's name on one leaf and the table number on the second. I tied both leaves to chopsticks and displayed them in rice bowls. Each guest found their name and table number and then had the chopsticks to eat with if they chose to.

We also had small bamboo plants as favors and white fans on each table as part of the centerpiece.

I had a great time planning this affair.

joiecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joiecreations Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 12:08am
post #9 of 11

Congrats !! I'm filipino...an idea for your cake....decorate the wedding cake to look like the barong tagalog. It's cream colour/off white with lace like decorations. If your are making gumpaste figures of your daughter and future son inlaw it would be a nice touch for him to wear the barong tagalog. A tradition that most filipino wedding cakes have are fortunes for single girls to pull. It's like the catching the bouquet but they pull fortunes like '"you will soon meet your prince". One of the strings have a ring attached. The lucky girl who pulls the ring is the next to get married (just like the catching of the bouquet) !! The fortunes are attached to strings place underneath the cake. Hope that helps you =)

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 12:42am
post #10 of 11

Congratulations on your daughter's engagement!

I like the idea of putting the groom figure in a barong tagalog. Here's a link to a picture of it:http://www.philippines.hvu.nl/clothes1.htm

I like the idea of making the cake to look like Philippine Embroidery. Another link: http://www.artesdelasfilipinas.com/archives.php?page_id=40. Here's an idea - you can use traditional flavors for the cake. Pandan and Purple yam (sounds gross but it's delicious) is traditional but a nice,retro-modern twist would be caramel, mocha, leche flan, sans rival or halo-halo flavors (see food items below)

The fortunes in the cake are a nice retro touch. Used to be really popular but I haven't seen them in Filipino weddings for a long time.

Food...Are you preparing the food? A lechon (roast pig) is very traditional and would go well with a barbecue theme. You could ask the Oriental store where to find local lechon caterers.

A few other food ideas... There are a lot of other show-stopper foods traditionally served at big events but here are some that are easy to cook and which have readily available ingredients.
(google the recipes or pm me)

Lumpiang prito (fried vegetarian spring rolls)---pairs well with barbecue
Lechon manok - roast chicken flavored with lemon grass
Adobo - everyday fare but still yummy and popular
Ensaladang talong (grilled eggplant salad) - another barbeuce-perfect dish
Sweets:
Leche flan (caramel topped flan)--- super yummy and very popular
Sans Rival - cashew or almond dacquoise filled with buttercream - always a favorite with Filipinos
Halo-halo - A shaved ice and milk dessert with a melange of tropical fruits. --- perfectly refereshing for an outdoor event

Traditions: there is a Filipino wedding tradition where for the B&G's first dance, the guests come over and pin money to their clothes as they're dancing. Just pass out safety pins to the guests and the Filipino ones will know what to do. The others will follow their lead.

I have lots more to share but I gotta go. Will send more later, if needed.

bagul Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bagul Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 9:31pm
post #11 of 11

I help organize organize wedding. We ended up using flasks for the groomsmen, they really liked that idea.

Here are the ones we used.

http://www.dreamflasks.com/gifts-for-groomsmen-s/1854.htm

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%