Rolling Fondant Thinner

Decorating By Dance2thebeat Updated 1 Apr 2010 , 5:40pm by Loucinda

Dance2thebeat Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 2:37am
post #1 of 34

Hey everybody!

I'm making a cake for my grandpa's surprise party and I had a question about rolling fondant.

Whenever I roll out my fondant it's super thick on the cake because if I work with it any longer it just cracks. But I see all these cakes that people make online, in books, etc with nice thin rolled out fondant.

How do I roll it out? icon_confused.gif

Thanks,
Lianna

33 replies
pearlydi Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 3:02am
post #2 of 34

What kind of fondant are you using is it homemade or from the store? My guess is try adding some shortening maybe is too dry. Hope that helps!!!

Dance2thebeat Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 3:12am
post #3 of 34

Thanks I will try that!

& I am using store bought this time.

dalis4joe Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 5:16am
post #4 of 34

for adding details... I thin as paper... I do 50/50 fondant/gumpaste...and I can roll it really thin...
hth

mamawrobin Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 6:41am
post #5 of 34

Be sure to knead your fondant long enough. This can also create problems.

dalis4joe Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 11:07am
post #6 of 34

whatch this video...

this is from Satin Ice (Julie B.) and this helped me a lot....

hth

costumeczar Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 11:38am
post #7 of 34

When you're kneading it use crisco, not corn starch, and that will help some, too. Don't go crazy with it, just enough to keep it from sticking.

Loucinda Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 12:14pm
post #8 of 34

I also knead with shortning, and I roll it out on a vinyl mat that is lightly greased with shortning too. I do not use cornstarch or powdered sugar. As I am rolling it, I also lift it and move it to make sure it isn't sticking anywhere on the vinyl mat. I then lift the entire mat and flip the fondant onto the cake. Works perfectly! Doesn't dry out the fondant, and no "dusty" marks to deal with either.

mamawrobin Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 12:23pm
post #9 of 34

I also use the vinyl mat lightly greased with crisco. Haven't had a mishap with my fondant since I started using this method. Thanks Loucinda thumbs_up.gif I also use crisco instead of p.s. or c.s. because of the dry fondant issue. Like Loucinda said there's no mess to clean off your fonant either.

BTW you can buy vinyl by the yard at Wal-Mart. I bought a yard for $2.20.

Loucinda Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 12:31pm
post #10 of 34

You're welcome! icon_smile.gif

KKristy Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 12:40pm
post #11 of 34

dalis4joe - thanks for posting that video...very informative...

Does anyone else use a silicon mat, as she does in the video ? I love the way she picked up the whole mat and turned it over on the cake...looks so easy

tarheelgirl Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 12:47pm
post #12 of 34

I have the blue Ateco silicone mat and LOVE it! You can lightly grease it and nothing sticks.

Kitagrl Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 12:50pm
post #13 of 34

Don't you guys find that when you roll out with crisco that it becomes more shiny and more difficult to smooth?

dalis4joe Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 1:12pm
post #14 of 34

Kita... yeah... you can't really use the smoother... so I then use my PS pouch... hit the cake (lol) a few times and then I can use the smoother... but if it's color that I don't want it to get powdery then I use the wad of fondant (I take 2 pieces) and use them to smooth the cake... works pretty good... I want to get the sponge thingy Julie uses.... u know where I can get it??

Loucinda Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 1:15pm
post #15 of 34

Not at all Kita - you just use enough to keep it from sticking, and that is absorbed into the fondant after it is on the cake. I lightly dust the smoother with cornstarch just to keep it from "catching" when I smooth - perfect results!

I use the vinyl mat, one of these days I may invest in the silicone one, but for now, the vinyl works fine.
LL

t4beatles Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 1:34pm
post #16 of 34

Good morning all!

I just used Satin Ice last night for the first time and had one heck of a struggle with it!

It was almost 'wet' feeling to me (my 1st time with fondant was the Wilton product, this is my 2nd attempt with fondant).

It was sticking to everything! I had to use PS on my counter, rolling pin and my hands (multiple times). UGH!!

(hence my other post about the PS - I have it all over my black fondant icon_sad.gif)

After watching the video I'm wondering how I could have done this method with only crisco if it was so 'wet'.

I'm not thrilled with the outcome but hope I can fix it later tonight, it's my bottom tier. I have to do the top tier tonight so any input would be appreciated!!

tarheelgirl Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 1:41pm
post #17 of 34

When I use cornstarch on my mat.. the fondant becomes dry and cracks. I use a small amount of Crisco to keep it from sticking and it works like a charm. Mine is never shiny and is easy to smooth! BTW, Loucinda beautiful cake! thumbs_up.gif

Loucinda Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 1:47pm
post #18 of 34

I am no help with the Satin Ice, I only use MMF - never have any trouble with it.

(thanks for the nice comment THG!)

kickasscakes Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 1:48pm
post #19 of 34

Loucinda: Save your money, keep the vinyl mat! I have had the silicone for a long time and don't like it, it is too big and heavy, and can't see through it- to line it up with the cake.

I tried the vinyl, and no turning back. Best 2 bucks I ever did spend! It NEVER sticks, and I never grease or powder the mat either.

No more silicone for me.

Kitagrl Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 1:56pm
post #20 of 34

I use a silicone mat and Satin Ice and I have no problem with the fondant sticking and usually not cracking...last night however I was using the black precolored fondant and tried to use hardly any pwd sugar and when I got it on the cake it was shiny and hard to smooth (3D cake no less).

I was so happy that it was a 3D cat that needed a ball jersey...covered up all the TRASH that I ended up with, using the fondant. haha.

When I re-kneaded the black to re-roll to do another part of the cake, it was alot smoother and easier to smooth and work with.

I guess I better stick with how I'm doing things haha.

Also somehow I notice when I do use shortening (like when I'm working with gumpaste) it seems to attract any dust or fibers more. Ugh.

Loucinda Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 2:02pm
post #21 of 34

Thanks snowbuns! Good to know! icon_smile.gif

Kita - I am of the old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" - If what you have always done works for you, I wouldn't try to change. thumbs_up.gif

I just never had the silicone, and the vinyl works great for me! I got tickled to see some of the folks on UCO using it too. icon_biggrin.gif

mamawrobin Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 2:07pm
post #22 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Don't you guys find that when you roll out with crisco that it becomes more shiny and more difficult to smooth?

Sometimes I do have this problem. I just lightly dust the cake with corn starch and smooth away. Problem solved.

Dance2thebeat Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 2:23pm
post #23 of 34

Hey guys,

All these replies have been more than helpful! I can't wait to get started on the cake.

I just had one more question, I am not using Satin Ice I'm using Wilton. When you take Wilton fondant out of the package it is as hard as a rock, for lack of a better word.

Should I just use Crisco to make it playable?

Loucinda Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 2:27pm
post #24 of 34

Microwave it for a few seconds at a time till it is warm, then knead it!

pearlydi Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 2:36pm
post #25 of 34

I use Wilton too, just apply some Crisco and knead it.

Kitagrl Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 2:38pm
post #26 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Sometimes I do have this problem. I just lightly dust the cake with corn starch and smooth away. Problem solved.

Will corn starch disappear on black?

I do find the precolored Satin Ice's to be too tacky sometimes to smooth unless I knead extra sugar into them.

tarheelgirl Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 3:10pm
post #27 of 34

In my experience to get cornstarch off of black or darker colors.. I rub a small amount of crisco on the area. Just enough to make it disappear!

debbief Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 3:39pm
post #28 of 34

I'm pretty new to the whole fondant thing but I covered this cake with MMF. (hopefully it will show up, I've never posted an image, if not it's the Green Day cake in my photos) Took almost a whole container of black coloring icon_redface.gif ...but I think that also made it softer. That or the extra amount of time spent kneading to work the color in icon_lol.gif I also use shortening when kneading. And if it seems like it won't roll thin enough, I pop it in the microwave for a few seconds to soften it up. I'm learning as I go icon_rolleyes.gif And learning TONS from this site! So a big thank you to everyone for all the great advice!

Loucinda Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 3:51pm
post #29 of 34

Very nice cake!! icon_smile.gif

costumeczar Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 3:56pm
post #30 of 34

You can lightly spray the cornstarch stains with vodka and they'll disappear.

I also use the vinyl sheet, have done for years and for larger pieces it's so much easier than trying to move it around on the counter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%