Question For Those Who Have Used The Wilton Wonder Mold Pan

Decorating By Ren715 Updated 1 Apr 2010 , 5:08am by cheatize

Ren715 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ren715 Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 2:10am
post #1 of 6

Hi,
I'm going to be making a Barbie Doll cake for this weekend (using a real Barbie).

For those who have made this, did you torte the cake or just put the icing on the outside?

I'm also open to any and all tips for making this cake.

Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 2:21am
post #2 of 6

i have never torted one. i have done several . i usually bake an 8"x2" cake also. to put the wonder mold cake on . so that barbie fits it better. i then, cut a little out of the top. like a small opening for the legs. ease her in easy. you have to wrap barbie with saran wrap from feet up to waist or boobs to keep clean. i pin up her hair out of the way. then decorate like you please. with fondant , b/c , etc. hope it turns out good for you. i think some people do torte. i just never have.

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 2:21am
post #3 of 6

hi- ive made the wonder mold cake a few times. ive never torted the cake just frosted the outside. i think torting the cake might weaken the structer.
im not sure though.
when the cake is still warm-you should try and insert the doll into the cake to mold the opening alittle bit. if you were using a doll pick you wouldnt have to do that. dont leave the doll in the cake - just help open the top alittle bit.
another tip would be to wrap the doll legs in plastic wrap to make inserting the doll into the cake easier and help prevent cracking.
and one other tip, you should messure the length of the doll. i usually have to add a 6" round to the bottom of the wonder mold to hold a full size doll.
HTH-
good luck!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 3:45am
post #4 of 6

I just made one weekend before last. I needed an 8" round underneath it for the cake to be tall enough for Barbie's legs. I also torted the cake. It didn't weaken it at all, but my recipe makes a fairly dense, firm cake.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 3:55am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

I just made one weekend before last. I needed an 8" round underneath it for the cake to be tall enough for Barbie's legs. I also torted the cake. It didn't weaken it at all, but my recipe makes a fairly dense, firm cake.

I'm loving the name of your daughter's blog!!!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 5:08am
post #6 of 6

I have made one, but I used the pic. If I remember correctly, it was a straight box mix. I torted it and there were no problems with stability.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%