Tornado Destroyed My Business

Business By DDiva Updated 3 Jul 2010 , 9:32pm by DDiva

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 10:42pm
post #31 of 90

Oh no! I'm so sorry!!!!!!! I hope you can get back up and running soon.

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 5:44am
post #32 of 90

I'm so sorry, that really stinks. I hope you can recover soon.

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 6:01am
post #33 of 90

I'm very sorry for all the hard times you're having....

I was pretty bummed I lost my refridgerator last week! Well now...I feel pretty silly. I'm glad you're okay. And, I'm sure the perfect place will present itself for you. If you keep your positive attitude and stay faithful, He'll come through. That's the promise right?

((((hugs)))) icon_smile.gif

Bfisher2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bfisher2 Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 6:21am
post #34 of 90

God Bless Teresa.... have faith.....

PieceofCakeAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PieceofCakeAZ Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 4:11pm
post #35 of 90

icon_sad.gif I'm very sorry for the loss of your business and thankful for your safety. Best wishes on the reopening.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 4:17pm
post #36 of 90

I'm so sorry! I can't imagine how terrifying this experience is. I guess you just have to look ahead and think about all that nice new equipment you'll have in your new space. Things have a way of working out. Best wishes to you!!

jodiebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jodiebelle Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 4:28pm
post #37 of 90

So sorry to hear about your loss. My thoughts are with you.

MyDiwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyDiwa Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 4:37pm
post #38 of 90

DDiva, I'm terribly sorry this happened to you. And about everything with the property owner. You know what? There's always a reason for something. As you said, going by the property breaks your heart, so maybe the property owner's meanness is God's instrument for protecting you emotionally until you're a little stronger. Maybe being inside and seeing certain things will bring up memories and emotions that you're not ready to handle yet.

I pray that you get through this whole, financially emotionally, relationally and spiritually. My prayers are with you and your family.

Aside from our sympathy and emotional support, is there something practical we can help with?

AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 7:11pm
post #39 of 90

Thinking of you. So glad you weren't there when it happened. It makes you realize what is truly important in life. Give your family an extra big hug today, and I know you will rise up. Good luck!!!

kaseynh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseynh Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 7:50pm
post #40 of 90

I'm so sorry this happened to you icon_sad.gif I wish you luck in quickly finding a new location for your shop!

Karen

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 7:55pm
post #41 of 90

How sad what you have lost... I pray to God that this process goes smoothly for you and to give you the strength you and your family need at this time... as stated above... thankfully no one was injured...
Keep a positive attitude Although I know this is easier said than done, and I wish you the best in your quest for a new studio...

God be with you...

shearpamela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shearpamela Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 10:32pm
post #42 of 90

I am so sorry to hear about your loss but so thankful you are alive and well. What can we do to help lighten your burden a bit, besides prayers and emotional support?
Do you have outstanding orders and do you have any idea ho long it will take to settle with your insurance company yet and rebuild?
Please let us know how to help in any way!

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 10:48pm
post #43 of 90

Thank goodness you're okay!! Everything else is secondary. You will get through this. Stay strong.

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 2:39am
post #44 of 90

DDiva, I'm sorry that you experienced this devastation to your shop, but sure am glad you weren't there at the time. Thank goodness!

You probably have friends and family who will be your support system while you sort out all this, but your CC family is here for you too. Please don't hesitate to let us know if you need our help. (any kind of help...the "thoughts and prayers" kind or the "I'm in desperate need of a replacement set of pans by this Saturday" kind.)

Keep your chin up! You'll get through this! thumbs_up.gif

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 3:34am
post #45 of 90

DDiva, I just read about your loss on another post.....I'm so sorry this happened and am thankful you and your staff weren't hurt. You will be in my heart, thoughts and prayers. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help.....seriously!!!

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 3:36am
post #46 of 90

DDiva, I just read about your loss on another post.....I'm so sorry this happened and am thankful you and your staff weren't hurt. You will be in my heart, thoughts and prayers. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help.....seriously!!!

DDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DDiva Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 4:31am
post #47 of 90

I so appreciate you guys!! You are the BEST!!

Met with the final insurance claims guy Thursday morning. He has classified it a total loss. There were things we could have salvaged early in the week, but because the owner did nothing to remove any of the tree debris we couldn't retrieve them. So, it's a total loss. The claims adjuster was seriously nervous when we were in the building. So was I.

The loss is at $100,000. Insurance will not cover all of that. Twelve years of accumulation doesn't all show up on annual inventory. Plus, I had a retail area so a lot of the inventory changed constantly.

I told Kenny that Thursday was my last visit to the property. It's just too hard. I know folks that had major home damage are in more dire straits than me. I almost feel guilty feeling so bad.

I should know about the space we saw on Wednesday some time next week. I should have insurance funds soon. Everything is turned in: inventory, pictures, some proof of income (last year. This year's was on the computer that we couldn't find. I had 3 computers--only found the remains of one).

I'm holding on. It's weird not going to the shop everday. Today was hard, but I'm hanging on. I went to TJ Maxx and bought bowls and measuring spoons. But it was hard seeing things I once owned, so I left. I know it'll get easier.

I really apreciate all of you.

Maluisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maluisa Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 5:11am
post #48 of 90

When people are in times of need, I heard one time that its best to ask "how can I help you?" instead of "let me know if you need anything". They already let you know they need something even if it was just an ear to vent frustration or sorrow. So with this I hope I speak for all the kind CC folks, "How can we help you"?

shearpamela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shearpamela Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 2:51pm
post #49 of 90

Ditto! How about setting up a registry somewhere or letting us know where you bought supplies so we could do gift cards? Or is there another way to help?
We all put our blood sweat and tears into our businesses so don't feel guilty! It is a painful loss, but you are not alone....

DDiva Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 3:35pm
post #50 of 90

I've always bought as much as possible (of anything) on sale. A lot of small items have come from TJ Maxx, Target, WalMart. I'm blessed to have several restaurant supply houses in my area. I'll use them to replace the larger items. I've already contacted CK South to let them know what has happened. They promised to help in any way that they can.

I will use this time to streamline. So much of what we own happens with progression. I lost 4 stand mixers. I had them four because as the business progressed I would need larger mixers. No need to have four now. So I'm making a list of the essentials.

I appreciate anything that is offered.
The address is:
Crawford's Creations
1507 North Hamilton Street
High Point NC 27262

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 4:49pm
post #51 of 90

DDiva, could you pm me your real name? I have something else I would rather send you. You have every right to be upset, that business was your life. Just know there are folks who truely do care about others and hope things get easier for you.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

DDiva Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 6:55pm
post #52 of 90

Thanks so much for understanding Loucinda. All of you!
I am Teresa Dames Crawford.

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 11:00pm
post #53 of 90

sending many hugs and prayers your way!

MyDiwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyDiwa Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 12:06am
post #54 of 90

Teresa, I know you said you appreciate anything that is offered, but it would make me happier to know I contributed something you actually wanted/needed/used. So although you may think it's easier for people to help in whatever way they would like, having an idea or several to choose from would be a help. If you prefer, you can pm me. I may not be able to do anything big, but I'd like whatever I can do to count.

Still sending ((((((((((HUGS)))))))))

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 11:00pm
post #55 of 90

Hi all,

I've been communicating with Teresa, and with her permission I'm passing along some information for any of you who would like to know how you can help her recover and rebuild. She is overwhelmed by the offers and generosity.

As she said, insurance won't cover everything and there is so much she lost. And she thinks of items every day that she needs, and has no longer. I asked her if gift cards would be most useful for (when she secures the new storefront), and what stores she had in her area, and this was her response.

"Gift cards/certificates would be great. TJ Maxx (I've been able to get a lot of the small kitchenwares there), WalMart, Target, Hobby Lobby, Michael's, AC Moore, Ikea, Bed, Bath and Beyond. Almost any of the large chains. We have several restaurant supply houses in the area as well. I buy wholesale from CK South, Cal Java, Bakery Crafts."

Her contact info:
Teresa Dames Crawford
Crawford's Creations
1507 North Hamilton Street
High Point NC 27262

She is so appreciative. Even the smallest gesture helps her make progress. Thank you for pitching in to help a CC'er rebuild!

giggysmack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giggysmack Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 1:32am
post #56 of 90

All my prayers

CAKESABC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAKESABC Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 1:40am
post #57 of 90

So sorry to hear that! Remember, when God closes one door - He opens another!! you have a great attitude about it. Praying that all will work out for you.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 1:55am
post #58 of 90

I am so sorry for you. Thank God you weren't hurt. God will open new doors for you.

Mycakelady2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mycakelady2 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 2:53am
post #59 of 90

Hi there,
Just read about the loss of your business. I know it's hard, but GOD does have something better in store for you and your business!! Proverbs 3:5-6.Thanks for posting the address where we can send donations.

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 12:54pm
post #60 of 90

Diva, we have a lot of diva customers can you tell me if you were one of our customers?
I am so sorry that this happend to you, but there is a reason. You know how we always say, if I could do it all over with what I know now? Well, now is your chance. Everything you have learned you can now apply it to a rebuild. Also, every night, write down everything that you did that day that was positive. Its a great way to count blessings in a hard time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%