5 Year Old Cake

Decorating By kgar2121 Updated 11 Apr 2010 , 5:09pm by kgar2121

kgar2121 Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 9:34pm
post #1 of 20

Daughter loves Beauty and the Beast. I have a general idea of what I want to do with it. I plan on using modeling chocolate and making figures of the Beast and Belle dancing on the top (smaller) of a 2 tiered cake, and the other characters dancing around on the larger lower tier.

I DO have two questions. First, how long is modeling chocolate good? Her birthday is at the end of May, but my and wife and daughter are going away for a few days over Easter holiday and wanted to know if I could start working on the figures. Just seems like a good opportunity.

Second, do any Disney fans have any ideas to kick this idea up a notch? Perhaps enhance what my tiny little mind can see.

Btw, what a great site you have here. I have been browsing this site for hours and hours over the past few days, and it is FANTASTIC!! Seems like lots of great folks here and cant wait to get to know some of you! Thanks in advance

19 replies
The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 12:08am
post #2 of 20

I think it'd be cool to recreate the scene where they're all dancing to be my guest icon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 12:15am
post #3 of 20
idocakes4fun Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 12:42am
post #4 of 20

And, in case you haven't already done so, here is a search on Beauty and the Beast which might throw in a few more elements.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&meta=search&type=full&search=Beauty+and+the+Beast&album=-&search_user=

kgar2121 Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 12:50am
post #5 of 20

thanks for the suggestions...yep, i had already searched both of those terms in the galleries, as well as disney, characters, etc.

i am still wondering how long modeling chocolate will be good. would it hold a month or two in the fridge if they were already "sculpted"?

once again, thanks for the responses!

idocakes4fun Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 12:48pm
post #6 of 20

There are several recipes on CC for chocolate clay (just used one recently myself) and each of them say something different as far as storing the chocolate (ranging from "several weeks" to 3 to 4 weeks). None of them mention whether it could be frozen, which was my first thought for keeping them until the end of May. I'm sorry, I'm not of help on how long the figures can be stored. From what I've read, two months might be too long in the fridge. Hopefully one of the modeling experts can tell us.

Jaimelt76 Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 1:41pm
post #7 of 20

I am not sure how long the modeling chocolate will last, but I thought this link might help with the figures. Is is in Spanish but the pictures are great.

http://picasaweb.google.com/ludirossi/BiscuitPrincesas#

Jaimelt76 Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 1:44pm
post #8 of 20

I forgot to add this one that gives very basic pics of the beast being put together.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Priscilakca/UtilisimaTortasPasoAPasoNo15#

kgar2121 Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 4:42pm
post #9 of 20

those links are fantastic!!! thanks a ton!

TheDomesticDiva Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 8:25pm
post #10 of 20

I have to say I dont know for SURE what the shelf-life of chocolate clay is, but all it is is just melted chocolate and corn syrup...what's in it to go bad?? I don't see why you couldnt make them now.

KHalstead Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 8:42pm
post #11 of 20

I just wanted to say that I made some figures at my mom's house 2 yrs. ago with modelling chocolate and she just recently found the ball of it wrapped in plastic wrap BEHIND her fridge and the stuff is hard, but there is no mold or anything! I'm thinking you'll be fine..........worst case scenario is that the figures might taste stale or something, but honestly I'll bet when your little girl sees them she won't let anyone eat them anyhow!!!

shelbycompany Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 8:45pm
post #12 of 20

kgar2121, Welcome to your new addiction! This site is wonderful and all of its members are fabulous. I have learned everything I know about cake decorating on this site. It is very addictive. I've never worked with modeling chocolate so I can't answer your question but I just wanted to welcome you to Cake Central icon_biggrin.gif

malene541 Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 8:59pm
post #13 of 20

I don't see why modeling chocolate would be much different than gum paste. As long as they aren't planning on eating the characters I think it would be fine to make them now. (They might get really hard) Worst case, you had good practice and the next "fresh" set would look even better!! Good luck and we always love to see the pics!!!

kgar2121 Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 11:57pm
post #14 of 20

that castle is great!

indydebi Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 12:10am
post #15 of 20

ohhhhhhhhhhh! The BIRTHDAY GIRL is 5 years old! I popped in here because I thought someone had cleaned out their freezer and found a cake buried in the bottom that had been there for 5 years or something!
icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

kgar2121 Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 3:32am
post #16 of 20

i've been dieting for 2 months, and im not going to lie...id eat a 5 year old cake, maybe even a 10 year old one. im just sayin

kgar2121 Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 3:07pm
post #17 of 20

thanks so much for your help!

Ivy383 Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 3:31pm
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgar2121

i've been dieting for 2 months, and im not going to lie...id eat a 5 year old cake, maybe even a 10 year old one. im just sayin

lol!!! I'm on the same boat as you... icon_lol.gif

CakeandDazzle Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 3:38pm
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

ohhhhhhhhhhh! The BIRTHDAY GIRL is 5 years old! I popped in here because I thought someone had cleaned out their freezer and found a cake buried in the bottom that had been there for 5 years or something!
icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

omg debi i was thinking the same thing! And i was reading the OP over and over again and was like huh icon_confused.gif glad im not the only one!

kgar2121 Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 5:09pm
post #20 of 20

i DO tend to confuse myself and others around me

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%