Ok To Substitute Brown Sugar For White In Cake?

Baking By drakegore Updated 31 Mar 2010 , 9:46pm by Misdawn

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 9:17pm
post #1 of 3

in a white or yellow cake recipe, can you swap out white sugar and replace with brown? it is apples to apples? so 10 oz/ white sugar replaced with 10 oz. brown sugar?

i love the taste of collette peter's heavenly white cake which has both white and brown sugar in it but i don't like the texture. i was thinking about monkeying around with a great white or yellow cake recipe to get the taste and texture i want.

any suggestions?

thank you!

diane

2 replies
Larkin121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Larkin121 Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 9:35pm
post #2 of 3

Brown sugar is more acidic, so I think you'd have to also mess with your leavening. I am not advanced enough in the science to know exactly how to alter the baking powder or soda in proportion. You could do some trial and error to find out!

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 9:46pm
post #3 of 3

Brown sugar is granulated sugar that has molasses added to it. This gives the brown color. therefor, you would have to adjust your liquid slightly within the recipe, as the brown sugar would add a higher liquid content. If you were only plannign to use a slight bit of light brown sugar (as in less than 1/4 cup) I don't think it would make much difference. More than 1/4 (especially if using dark brown sugar) may alter your results.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%