Extra Details On Figures

Decorating By katies_cakes Updated 2 Apr 2010 , 11:06pm by katies_cakes

katies_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katies_cakes Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 8:58pm
post #1 of 14

I am currently making the bridel party for my friends wedding cake (with fondant and tylo) so far im happy with them. but one bridesmaid wears glasses. how can i make and put them onto the figure without it looking odd and out of place? any ideas? also (off topic..)how difficult is a topsy turvy cake the first time? the bride has been looking at pics and now wants 1 (3 weeks from the wedding!) iv watched the tutorials and it looks ok, is it?! TIA

13 replies
rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 9:16pm
post #2 of 14

Have you tried making the specs using a fine gauge florist wire? If you use a fine one they will not stand out so much and should look fine.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 9:24pm
post #3 of 14

The wire glasses sound like a good idea to me and I'll probably be making some, too, someday (thanks for the idea scrummymummy!). About the topsy-turvy, I found it no more difficult to make my first one than any others -- which is not to say they're easy to do, but they are a lot of fun. I make them using the method where you carve out a little bit of the layer below, so that they'r quite stable. I think you should go for it!

katies_cakes Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 9:28pm
post #4 of 14

Thank you so much! i knew there was something i hadnt thought of! sometimes i just need someone to think of the things i cant. lol i should of thought of that really as im making the brides tiara with wire lol. thanks again!!

ooo, i also need to make small shopping bags, (the bride is a shopoholic)i was going to use fondant, any ideas for those? for some reason today i can only think of fondant!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 9:34pm
post #5 of 14

You could make them like Sylvia W.'s and they won't be so tiny and delicate. icon_lol.gif

katies_cakes Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 9:50pm
post #6 of 14

Thanks for the topsy turvy advice, i was going to use that method too! iv got to do my brother in laws birthday cake this weekend so now he is having a topsy turvy one so i can practice. I maybe sending you a PM mariana if i have any problems with it to ask for help, so watch out for me!! lol

katies_cakes Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 9:51pm
post #7 of 14

Thanks for the topsy turvy advice, i was going to use that method too! iv got to do my brother in laws birthday cake this weekend so now he is having a topsy turvy one so i can practice. I maybe sending you a PM mariana if i have any problems with it to ask for help, so watch out for me!! lol

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 6:12am
post #8 of 14

Definitely practice the topsy-turvy. I did mine first one a couple of weeks ago and it was so wrong it was funny. Granted, part of the problems had nothing to do with the topsy-turvy part, but even that did not go quite as it should have gone.

I'm going to try another one on a much smaller scale in the next week or so to see if I figured out exactly where I went wrong.

LateBloomer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LateBloomer Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 6:25am
post #9 of 14

I made glasses if you want to look at my pictures. Its the little chap with the brown cardigan. Sharon Zambito has a fabulous DvD on topsy turvy cakes. I can really recommend it.

ChoueiriCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 10:47am
post #10 of 14

Here's a tutorial by Lorraine McKay on how to make tiny glasses from wire:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/extra-icing/sets/72157600373593538

katies_cakes Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 1:46pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoueiriCakeCo

Here's a tutorial by Lorraine McKay on how to make tiny glasses from wire:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/extra-icing/sets/72157600373593538

Thankyou. i love lorraines work, but iv not seen this one yet, im off to look now. thanks again! icon_biggrin.gif

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 9:50pm
post #12 of 14

The glasses are great, LateBloomer, but I'm even more enamored of the cardigan!

Katies-cakes, I'd love to hear from you, but there are many people on here who do topsy-turvy cakes a lot better than I do. There was a fairly long thread on here not too long ago about topsy-turvies, mostly about using the other method, where the cakes really are askew (I can just see mine sliding off the base every which way, so I'm too chicken to try it that way!). It had a lot of good ideas.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 10:10pm
post #13 of 14

I been doing TT's for a long time and no matter what they are time consuming cakes.
I have a few of them that no matter how many times I reproduce it it takes me 6 hours
to make.
Edna icon_smile.gif

katies_cakes Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 11:06pm
post #14 of 14

Thank you all for the advice, im so nervous about trying it but i have to try sometime. and i love the way they look when done right. edna, what part would you say was the most time consuming?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%