Run Out Of Airbrush Color! Oh No!

Decorating By Kerry_Kake Updated 2 Apr 2010 , 3:40am by dguerrant

Kerry_Kake Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 8:57pm
post #1 of 7

I was plan on airbrushing my cake but after frosting and smoothing I noticed I was all out of yellow! I was going to do the bottom tier lime green and the top tier orange. I managed to do the bottom tier ok, not quit as limey as I would like but I thought I had orange and I don't. So I need yellow! My question is, can I use my americolor gel yellow instead? Dilute it somehow? It will be diluted some with the red anyway. Or do you think I need to refrost the whole darn things with colored frosting? icon_cry.gif
On top of all this, I'm sick! icon_sad.gif Not sure if I can even pull through this with this flu. May have to cancel all my other cakes for this weekend icon_sad.gif

6 replies
KHalstead Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 9:10pm
post #2 of 7

take your yellow gel color and dilute it with vodka or clear vanilla and then run it through a coffee filter so that you're sure you don't have any clumps!

HTH

dguerrant Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 2:20am
post #3 of 7

when i mixed my gel color with pga, it coaggulated and congelled. I use only gel coloring and dilute it with water and have never had a problem. GOOD LUCK, there isn't anything like a bump in the road when you don't need one icon_lol.gif

dguerrant Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 2:34am
post #4 of 7

when i mixed my gel color with pga, it coaggulated and congelled. I use only gel coloring and dilute it with water and have never had a problem. GOOD LUCK, there isn't anything like a bump in the road when you don't need one icon_lol.gif

Loucinda Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 3:10am
post #5 of 7

I agree with the above, use something with a high alcohol content though. I used everclear. I did this when I ran out of black once.

Kerry_Kake Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 7:50pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you! I diluted it with clear vanilla and I managed to get the color I was looking for icon_smile.gif I may have diluted it a little too much but never-the-less, it worked! I am feeling better today. I did manage to get this cake finished on the deadline and she also gave me a $20 tip just because I finished the cake for her while being sick.
Now I'm off to do another stacked cake....strawberry shortcake icon_smile.gif

dguerrant Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 3:40am
post #7 of 7

Good Luck on the Strawberry Shortcake cake, and hope you fell better quickly, there is nothing worse than feeling sick and stressed about a cake.

about a month ago on a monday night I started to feel bad, tuesday was worse, went to the Dr. i had bronchitis, I told them I didn't have time to be sick. I had seven multi-layer and carved cakes to do that week. He gave me 2 HHHUUUGGGEEE shots and antibiotics,and i felt better before i went to bed that night. icon_smile.gif I love my Doctor icon_smile.gif

it's tough knowing that so many people are counting on you for their special day and you feel like a run over opposum on the side of the road.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%