Epicurious Chocolate Cake

Baking By diychick Updated 31 Mar 2010 , 10:48pm by Doug

diychick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diychick Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 8:20pm
post #1 of 9

Do I have to use the coffee in chocolate cake recipes such as the one on Epicurious? Could I substitute chocolate milk or something in the place of coffee or will this affect my cake?

8 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 8:53pm
post #2 of 9

It will affect it. Coffee brings out the chocolate flavor. You can't taste the coffee.

diychick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diychick Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 9:10pm
post #3 of 9

Ok, so I have never made coffee, since I don't drink it! icon_rolleyes.gif How many scoops of coffee and how much water do I brew for each cup of coffee that a cake recipe calls for? TIA

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 9:43pm
post #4 of 9

Call me crazy, but if I'd never made it I wouldn't want to buy the stuff to do so just for this. After all, you may not even like the recipe.

What would I do? Go buy a cup or two of regular coffee at McDonalds. icon_lol.gif

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 9:44pm
post #5 of 9

Or find a recipe that doesn't call for coffee, there are other chocolate cake on epicurious that don't.

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 10:00pm
post #6 of 9

Or maybe...sub out the coffee for a chocolate flavored creamer. I have used a chocolate toffee flavor and it was super yummy icon_smile.gif

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 10:16pm
post #7 of 9

this is my favorite chocolate cake and i guarantee you won't taste the coffee. the coffee just enhances the chocolate. make the coffee as is says on the coffee package. i love this recipe!

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 10:40pm
post #8 of 9

You could buy a jar of instant coffee and make a cup that way. I was always hesitant to put coffee in my chocolate cake but once I did I totally agree with the other posts--it makes a difference. You will be hooked!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 10:48pm
post #9 of 9

or get a very small jar of instant and use that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%